Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD-R's

• 03-12-2001 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Could not think of any place else to post this, but has anyone heard that they are going to start putting an extra tax charge on CD-Rs and CD-RW after Christmas.

Is there any truth to it or is it someone pulling the piss?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

not sure its happening in Ireland or England anytime soon, but its already in operation in several european countries, Denmark, France and Germany afaik...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

There's some truth in it alright. I know recording companies were trying to get the likes of hp and co to pay them 'royalties' so to speak on new CD-RW drives, claiming them to be the facilitator of piracy. Of course, they're all busy in court at the minute afaik.

I think the UK rejects the idea of CD-R extra tax, and I think the netherlands already have extra taxes on them.

Do a search 8)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Did a search, did not find anything relavent.

All I want to know is whether I sould stock up on CD-R's or will all be well and I can still buy 20 for £15 after Christmas?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Sure yea can buy 100 for around 50 quid.. they should last you sometime .. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i cant believe they are taxing cd's. how come they never taxed tapes. were they no the same thing when they came out. A huge threat to the music industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Kevin
    i cant believe they are taxing cd's. how come they never taxed tapes. were they no the same thing when they came out. A huge threat to the music industry.

tapes werent taxed because companies are more tightfisted and paranoid theses days. Also because it would be more time consuming and a damnsight more work to put 74 mins of mp3's on tape. Might as well tax videotapes now (if they arent already) cos we all know that taping a TV show is going to bring all the worlds TV broadcasters to its knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

Not entirely true. The reason they're picking on CD-R's and not any previous technologies (eg VCR/tape) was simply down to two things - time taken to duplicate, and quality. You can burn a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a CD full of mp3's ripped from albums, and still have the exact same distrubutable quality as if you had the CD itself (if you burned at high enough quality). There's no degradation, and with 12/16 speed burners being so cheap, it's obvious it's where they're going to hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

this is gonna make DVD-R and DVR-RW media more expensive again :( and i was seriously thinking of getting a dvd-rw drive in the new year :/

poo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

They started chargeing an extra tax on blank media a few years ago in Canada. The money was supposed to go to the recording industry, because the ONLY reason people buy blank CDs are to priate Canadian music (so went the logic).

The public's respose was 'Hey, if we're paying the penalty for piracy of music, we may as well do it' and there was guilt free copying of music from that day on...

Needless to say the price of blank media dropped so fast that no one really noticed the tax. And everyone was happy becuase of the government-endorsed fee for free music distribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Timeout...
    Visit www.peats.ie

AFAIR per 100 it works out @ less than 40p per cd!

They also have good deals if you want them w/ Jewel Cases!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

lol somone actually believes that peats are gud ... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

From Jan 1st 2002 there will be a 29% anti-dumping levy imposed on CDR Media coming into Europe

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

What? People don't use all their coasters as Thermal Insulation from Hot Liquids for their furniture??

With so many burn-proof drives about now there will hopefully be a drop in the number of coasters made.

Tis rediculous how music is priced now-a-days.

£16-18 for an album that might only have 50mins of actual music on it. Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

maplin has 100 650mb cdrs for 30 punt.

dixons which isnt too far from maplin has 100 700mb cdrs for 40 punt.

so take ur pick and stock up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

So What everyone is saying is stock up just in case. Well I'll have started to stock up on CD-R's and a couple off CD-RW's.

Make is not too important or is it??

Advertisement