Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ODTR says broadband is the next challenge (ENN).

Options
  • 03-12-2001 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

An article in ENN reports on the ODTR's latest quarterly report. ENN mentions that:
    The pressure to introduce lower priced and higher speed Internet in Ireland is apparent as pressure groups, entrant telecoms and even the European Commission are demanding these services. In the past few weeks, groups like the Association of Licensed Telecom Operators (ALTO), IBEC, Ireland Offline, the Chambers of Commerce of Ireland (CCI) and a consortium of entrant telecoms across Europe have been pressuring regulators such as the ODTR to force action in the market to ensure more competition, improve service and lower prices.
    The ODTRs press release is here (MSWord) and the full report is here (also MSWord).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Nice namecheck from the ODTR there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by yellum
    Nice namecheck from the ODTR there.
    The quote is from ENN. The ODTR report does not mention IrelandOffline unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I'm not getting things right at all today. Lack of sleep.

Its just one of those days .

To Quote the great Philosopher Durst:
    Its just one of those days where you don't wanna wake up , everything is ****ed, everybody sucks, you don't really know why but you want to justify ripping someones head off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

have the ireland offline committee has a chance to go through the report in detail? with all the media attention the subject is getting a response to the report sent to the newspapers would have a very good chance of getting coverage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

have the ireland offline committee has a chance to go through the report in detail? with all the media attention the subject is getting a response to the report sent to the newspapers would have a very good chance of getting coverage.

I haven't gone through the full report, but I went through the press release and the summary last night. The Internet section in the full report only seems to take up 2-3 pages, and appears to cover pretty much the same stuff.

With all due respect to the ODTR, most of what I've read is bluster and blarney, which of course can't be refuted. The ODTR is naturally - and unfortunately - going to try and make the situation look better than it is, and although the "broadband has to be tackled" comment is excellent, we're still faced with a serious misunderstanding at all levels in Ireland as to what broadband actually is.

I'll read it in more detail later today to see if something can be made of it. I'm not confident though.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

LOOK! the problem is this..
    This country is run by idiots
    and is run on pure! B***S***!

All you have to do is look at statements like!
    "The E-hub of Europe!"
    and no one flinches at this statement.?

Untill we drive out the E from the B.S.
    were not going into the 21st century where stuck in the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

See I think you're all getting the wrong end of the stick when they say 'e-hub' they mean -->

[Image removed at the request of the webmaster of www.knitting-and.com. - adam]

Advertisement