Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice please, anybody?

• 01-07-2000 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I am running Windows 98 on a P2 with 64 meg and have a Kasan 56k MODIO.
    The problem is, when connected to the net the screen often freezes and requires a forced restart.
    Also sometimes when trying to open a web page, the progress bar struggles and then "ding", disconnected.
    My connection is to Esat No Limits and I'm wondering is this Esat's fault, Windows or my modem.
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If thats the only problem with the pc, ie it doesnt normally crash apart from when you use the net, it is definitely the modem. I had a horrible experience with one of those kasan "modems". Tried to update firmware to v90 to get it to work, modem died. Ditch it now and buy a new one. ALTHOUGH, just in case I would try a modem out of a friends machine before buying a new one, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Thanks Gerry, I suppose it stands to reason that if your modem AND sound card are but one, neither can be worth a shi*e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh god..youve got an integated modem and soundcard?
    ditch em. i had horrendous problems supportingthose with IBM. the arent worth a sh1t. its a great idea, but it doesnt work. theres too many problems.
    as for our problem, yes, id say its a modem/driver problem. get yerself a newmodem and lash out 40 quid for a creative live value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nickb

Yep have to agree with the guys re:the s/card and modem.
    Just check to make sure you dont have an extension line from the pc to the tele/phn line socket if its above 15 or 20 feet it will just disconnect for no reason.
    OctaviaN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I use a 30ft wire without a bother - as long as it's kept fairly straight without kinks and away from power cables etc. it should be fine, depending on the gain of your phone line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement