Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zip Drives On NT 4 Without Administrator Rights

• 03-12-2001 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I don't think that you can, but you must have something else like a cd writer or in built zip drive in one of the computers in some computer lab. I doubt there is a college in Ireland that does not at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Daveirl, there is no way you will be able to install a zip drive in NT4 without Administrator rights (at least on any properly locked down system), unless you hack the kernel.

Even if you tried exploits, you'd still be gaining Admin rights.

Timeout, come to Maynooth. We don't have these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you will definately need admin rights.
    you will also need a nice litle patch to get your zip drive to work properly on NT4.
    unless you want to continueously restart the services...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Timeout, come to Maynooth. We don't have these things.

Which don't you have, the zip or cd writer?

That must be a pain if you need anything bigger then a floppy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by daveirl
    Anyway one more question how about a bootable floppy of some sort. I know DOS won't work because I won't be able to read the NTFS partiton but is there some Unix distro that would allow me load my Zip drive and then copy to it?? A bootable CD even.

For some reason nearly everything is locked down except the BIOS!!

There's a small NT password reset util that you can get. It basically loads up linux on a boot floppy, and allows you to specify a new local admin password. I've used it before....it's called ntpasswd.exe so maybe just do a search across the net for it, change the password, which may get you in shít and then install the zip..... You'll probably be caught! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Heres an idea. Why don't you get one of the network admins in you're dept. to install the software for you. make up some story like that you need to transfer large amount files for a project you're doing to you're home PC and you don't want to be copy stuff onto a 100 floppys.

btw what college do u go to.

Advertisement