Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Third World War: August 1985

Options
  • 03-12-2001 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

The subject of this thread is the name of a book I found while reading about the Cold War in Europe. Does anybody have it/know where exactly it can be bought/a review?

If the answer to (a) or (b) is yes, how much would I be looking at to buy it?

It may be out of date, but I'm still curious to see who won.

What I do know is that Bermingham gets oblitereated by a single SS-25 missile and Minsk gets turned into a giant graveyard by four US and UK 1 MT weapons.

What about us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The Third World War. (Gen. Sir John Hackett et al). I think it was published in 1978 or 79. Seems to be on Limited Availability at £12.95 on Amazon.co.uk.

Hardcover - 368 pages (31 December, 1978)
    Sidgwick & Jackson; ISBN: 028398449X

There was a second book that included what happened with Ireland in a very cursory and utterly naieve manner given what was to occur a few years later. Unlike Tom Clancy books, the combat sections of these books and the nuclear/chemical/biological aspects had a bit more of a realistic feel.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Hi, i have the 1980 paperback version of this book published by Sphere.
    It is a good book and it has pretty pics:)

No idea where to get it though, i seen it in our transition year calsses little library, took it home read it and forgot to give it back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

thanks guys, totally agree on Clancy there. Read some of his books on aircraft carriers and the airborne, action is totally unrealistic, completly pro-american [and why not], the scenarios ignore everyone else.

which school library is now missing a copy of The Third World War: August 1985?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The book was well written, but rather dry. The only mention of Ireland is the regiment of the Irish Guards getting a pasting by the Soviets.
    Clancy's Red Storm Rising is the best book of this type I've seen, readablity wise.

Hackett also wrote "I was a stanger", a much better piece about his experience at Arnhem during WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think I have the second edition, among quite a few other books. Not sure if I'd sell it.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by klong
    thanks guys, totally agree on Clancy there. Read some of his books on aircraft carriers and the airborne, action is totally unrealistic, completly pro-american [and why not], the scenarios ignore everyone else.

which school library is now missing a copy of The Third World War: August 1985?
    Colaiste Eanna :o
    I'll probably give it back soon though :)

Advertisement