Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Hi-Speed, How do I avoid paying yet again?

Options
  • 04-12-2001 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

I have a bit of a dilemma at the moment with Eircom. I am in the process of moving apartment for the third time in two years.

The place I am moving to has no phone line installed in the apartment (there is one in the hallway for general use!), however as I require internet connectivity I will need a separate Hi-Speed line into the apartment itself.

Now, I am told that it will cost nearly 200 pounds in installation costs, when I have already paid this for both of the places I have moved to/from previously. The total that will be paid by me to Eircom for the last 10 metres of phone line over the last two years will come to almost 600 pounds after this move.

This to me is unacceptable. Why, as a tenant, should I be paying for the rollout of these lines into these homes? I understand that the cost to Eircom is still there, but surely as I am availing of the 'service' I shouldn't incur these costs time and time again?

Has anyone got ANY alternatives here? NTL are a no-no I have to wait for a year before it hits the new area. (Ranelagh, Dublin, Rathmines Exchange).

Options?

(PS. If you're gonna reply with laughter, slagging etc. don't bother wasting your time. I already know it's ridiculous, but if your not part of the solution...etc.)

Luc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Well you could always try get your landlord to pay for some of the installation charge since it will increase the value of the property.

As for Eircom, I don't see why they should make you pay any less for it.
    They are seperate installations.

- Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

You could go for a PSTN (£100) and take a gamble on ADSL in the future. It is annoying that you can't just have a previous tennent's line transferred to your name for nothing, though.

NTL cable internet in a year is very optimistic IMHO. I don't believe they will ever upgrade any area outside there existing two-way area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Id say its highly unlikely that your landlord will be willing to subsidise installation cost anyway. He/She will use the time tested excuse "If you get special treatment, everyone will expect it" etc... You're probably better off to sit and wait with PSTN for a while until better alternatives like ADSL or Powernet or even the IrishWAN project make their way to where youre living.

Its a bastard to have to stick with PSTN I know, but hey, this is Ireland after all. Only the select few priviledged people can get their hands on broadband.

Could you try and reason with your landlord that you need a phone line and the one in the hallway wont do. I mean I presume its not a cardboard box ure moving into so every room should at the very least have its own PSTN line. Having one line for a whole load of different rooms is like a college dorm. Anyway good luck with the negotiations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Wan Lucutus, welcome to the coolest area of Dublin :)

If i were you id hold out for. DSL. The rathmines exchange is fully upgraded and it will be one of the first lot to offer DSL when they roll it out (Febuary most likely earliest date).

Forget about ntl. They have done squat around here for years.

Again, about time you got to a daycent area :)

Advertisement