Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popstars!

• 04-12-2001 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

What a load of cr4p

The Irish wannabe's are so Cringe-worthy it's not even funny !!

Imagine the state of the Sh1te band that this sad programe is going to create !!! I feel sick just thinking about it! They will be blagged and promoted everywhere we look and the nonce song that will be their Début will be haunting us for months !!

Will this manufactured band Sh1t ever go away ????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Will this manufactured band Sh1t ever go away ????

not so long as theres money to be made :( . But "they" arent really looking for boy/girl groups anymore... the kids like nu skool punk and sk8r rock now. have you ever watched kerrang? I have nothing against good rock music, but sweet jesus!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

The girls that sing it in are v nice looking.. well maybe thats all they show hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Well it would be fine if it was just making fun of a bunch of loser wannabee McTalents, but the problem is that the winner won't just disappear when the series ends - it will be shoved on every goddamn billboard and the trash will be played on the unendingly **** radio here.

......maybe it'll replace that Westlife advert as you come back into the arrivals loungs in Dublin Airport (if there ever was a reason to try and bring a weapon on a plane......)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think this is the worst thing in the history of the world...

Not only do they explain to the kids "Yes! This is manufactured! This is how we pick out a group!" But they're making ****ing money by showing them!
    The public still eat it up the junk!
    Popstars is one of the highest rated shows in Irish TV at the moment!!! More money for the fat-cats...

I actualy sat down and watched this at one stage with my younger sister... And I think it's the most cruel, neo-nazi like punishment that these people could ever do!
    They rake up a few hundred thousand young hopefulls, and basicaly crush their hopes and dreams, save for a few select...
    If you've seen it, you can see many of the girls bursting into tears...

I think it's the most horrible, and evil thing the music industry has ever done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by AngelWhore

I think it's the most horrible, and evil thing the music industry has ever done...

Too bloody right. I saw some of one of the semifinals of the UK one - they had some really good talent on there and basically still just acted all mean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Mike Hammy

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    I think this is the worst thing in the history of the world...

Bit over the top?
    Not only do they explain to the kids "Yes! This is manufactured! This is how we pick out a group!" But they're making ****ing money by showing them!

People wouldn't watch it if they really didn't want to.

I actualy sat down and watched this at one stage with my younger sister... And I think it's the most cruel, neo-nazi like punishment that these people could ever do!
    They rake up a few hundred thousand young hopefulls, and basicaly crush their hopes and dreams, save for a few select...
    If you've seen it, you can see many of the girls bursting into tears...

Music 'industry'. See? 'Industry': "Commercial production and sale of goods". Industries are not well known for their kindness. THey exist to make product to, in turn, make cash.

I think they are being very honest with the kids and explaining how it all really works, for a change.

You also seem to miss the fact that the kids are all looking for a shortcut to fame and are therefore subjecting themselves to the punishment. If they love music then they can get a band together, sing in pub and clubs, write songs etc.

The show is really pedelling instant fame.

Incidentally, it looks as if Heresey (sic) will struggle to make it into the top 10 this week with their new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Mike Hammy

Music 'industry'. See? 'Industry': "Commercial production and sale of goods". Industries are not well known for their kindness. THey exist to make product to, in turn, make cash.

I think they are being very honest with the kids and explaining how it all really works, for a change.

You seem to miss my point here...
    My point is, that for a long time the pop-industry hid behind a sugary candy-cane candy-floss fluffy thingy like Bewitched, Boyzone, and all the other manufactured fluff-groups.
    But now they show these kids the venamous streak in the thing...
    "Hey kids, this is what it is really like! We're cruel, hartless money-peddling tyrants!"
    They're basicaly stinking a fork in the audience's eyeball! And it's still being lapped up by the hapless masses.

Agreed on other points though....
    Especially about the instant fame thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Shouldn't this program really be call Poopstars :p

OK I'll get my coat now !

Gandalf.

Advertisement