Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

another new board

• 04-12-2001 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

could you make a community board or actual board titled 'Game Development' or 'Game Design'

of course i would like to be moderator of said board ;)

im starting work on a game on monday titled
    'Aeternus Natio' (Eternal birth)

im not giving away any of the plot but the basis of the game is you start in stone-age and end in the distant future.

at the moment im working on my texture library so i cant show you anything :D

that is all

jaggeh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

It could, of course, be just me, but dont we already have a Game Editing board? Isnt that sufficient for the moment?

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Game Editing has little to do with game development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Has promise but maybe it might be better off being amalgamated with an existing board with a low posting volume, ala the wargames/military joining. Perhaps in Game Editing or the Games Board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

sounds like you are making megalomania jag :D

the game editing and programing boards are where you should hang :)

i vote to rename the game editing board to something that means both game editing and what jag said.

suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

yeah the programming board is one of the best boards to go on, one of the mods there (void) has been developing his own game for years so he would have plenty of advice or you. That and the game editing board would be good, but otherwise your just diluting two boards if you make a new one, and they aren't high volume boards as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Rename the Game Editing board to Game Development (covers everything)

and rename the Programming board to "I have to hand in my final paper on Monday and I haven't a clue what Java is" board or "Do my homework" board for short. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Like that second idea hobbes, as for the first one, I'm sure Ropedrink wouldn't be too happy, but maybe the lofty title of game developer rather than game editor will appease him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by veonix

im not giving away any of the plot but the basis of the game is you start in stone-age and end in the distant future.

So you're ripping off Empire Earth then?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ban Castor troy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Ban Castor troy
    bancastortroy.jpg

I think this is what your looking for boston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

These catchphrases are great aren't they Conor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Amp test :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

ill give away a little more of my idea then castor

its to be a 1st/3rd person rpg/shooter. you start off in the stone ages, your son goes missing, you go looking for him, hes being sacrificed, you interfere, you die.......the last thing you hear is the shaman curseing you for ruining his immortality, the next thing you see is a hoard of barbarians running at you, you are now in early roman times and you are a centurion.

the game revovles around you dieng. you dont realise you are reborn till a random point in the new life when you have a kind of 'epiphany' (moment of clarity) which normally comes as your about to die :D

thats all, any more and i would ruin the rest ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Originally posted by Asuka
    It could, of course, be just me, but dont we already have a Game Editing board? Isnt that sufficient for the moment?

A

well TBH the game editing board should be renamed to "halflife modding/mapping" because thats all its about really.

i know there is a few people making java/flash and other types of games and they either have to go to programming or art/animation etc etc.

not nocking either of those boards but it makes sense :D

Originally posted by veonix
    well TBH the game editing board should be renamed to "halflife modding/mapping" because thats all its about really.

that is unfortunatly true...

thesaurus.com:

develop found in 4 items.
    Conversion
    Expansion
    Production
    Evolution

change found in 26 items.
    <edit>
    Tergiversation
    Changeableness
    </edit>

i say the "Game Tergiversation" board or the "Game Changeableness" board :S

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Get your grubby mitts off my board!!!

Ahem, now that I've released that inner demon I'll say a few things here... You're requesting the recreation/renaming of that board and/or a new board. To be quite honest the only reason I became a moderator is because on several occasions I requested that a "Mapping" board be created, and it seemed at the time that I got far enough up Clouds nose that he granted me the gift of Four Stars and a Mod title... What was it he said to me!? Something along the lines of "There's no real need for a mapping board, seeing as we already have a 'Game Editing' Board" and he was quite right in the end... :D

My first actions as a moderator were to introduce myself and dish out the few new idea's I had in an attempt to spice up the board... It may not be the most utilised board, but I've nabbed a little attention and we have things rolling, but sadly as stated above, it's geared mainly towards mapping for HL, CS and TFC... Why!? Because It was topics like HL / CS / TFC mapping that only got discussed at the time...
    If it's programming, they'll generally goto the board created for programming, although we do request the aid of programmers now, in any new mod's we plan on the Game Editing Board, so a few of them visit there also, and many programming topics have been created and talked about...

Im also preparing to paste up a sticky thread that lists the skills gained by visitors to that board... We've already had a few pleasant visits from Torc Interactive, and a few regulars with the dream of creating their own games and / or mod's for HL, who asked if there were people who certain skills that would be interested in helping with whatever projects they had.

Even now we've began a group project, thanks to Ronan|Raven.

All I'll say is, if you want other topics discussed on that board, why not start new threads for others to see / learn about / discuss!?

People will pick up on these idea's, and the Game Editing Board's current limitations will expand in time... I, honestly, can't see the point of any new boards seeing as, at the end of the day, they all link to "Game Editing"...
    Anyway, It is not my decision, and therefor I will not fight the plans made for the future of the board itself...

I do have one request though, Jaggeh, will you post some details of the game you wish to create, on the Game Editing Board!? And don't forget there are always people there willing to help if you need any... Oh, and those cards you created for me... I love them :D

moan.jpg

Hehe

ropeleft.jpgroperight.jpg

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

...Did anyone actually understand anything I just said!?

games editing boards covers:

scripts : configs : console commands : mapping : moddeling : modding : texturing : game creation : game development

+?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I did Rope, but I'd still be on for the change of name to "Game Changeableness" lol

oooooooh 2000 posts! DO I GET A PRISE?

Advertisement