Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI laptop - battery problem

• 04-12-2001 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi folks,

A friend is having problems with her 'Medion' branded laptop, which she bought in ALDI last month. The battery never seems to charge past 27% or so, either that or the battery charge level is being missreported under XP. I've already tried to re-callibrate the battery charge indicator from BIOS, but to no avail.

The question is: Is anyone else having the same problem or is it unique to this particular machine?

If you bought one of these laptops or you know someone who has, please reply, even if just to say that yours is working fine.

Thanks folks,

Bosco

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

just a quick check...

turn on the laptop.. then plug in the ac adapter.
    now take out the battery while still on.
    shut it down.
    throw the battery back in and turn on...

this resets the battery level sensor on my compaq anyway (always problems with the level) and shows the correct % only until its turned off again tho :)

If its newish I'd bring it back, although where Aldi send it for repairs i dont know.. you could be waiting for ages while its sent abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Thanks Kali....I'll give it a try,

As regards sending it back to Aldi, their policy is not to repair them at all....if there's a problem within the first year you give them back the laptop and they give you back your cash.

Bosco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

i'd the same problem with a laptop battery indicator in windows a while back, re-calibrating the battery fixed it.. make sure you do it properly though, charge up the laptop fully beforehand(faster than charging up during the bios-thing), take out the AC plug when it tells you to in the bios screen, and dont touch the laptop until it switches off by itself (usually a couple of hours later)
    dont close the screen or anything (most laptops turn off the tft if you close the lid)

next time you boot up the system, the indicator should be fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Isegrim

I had a similar problem with my laptop.
    i thought the battery was damaged so i bought a "new" one.
    i plugged it in and tried to power on... nothing
    "oh, it is empty" was my first thought, so i plugged in the ac
    and started working.
    after a few seconds i realized a strange smell (oh oh)
    i immediately pulled the power plug and opened the casing (i just followed the smoke)
    as i reached the mobo a small chip starts glowing in a very nice red and that was the moment when
    the little man inside my ear told me that the battery was still attached to the laptop...
    i ripped it out but it was to late... the little "sun" between chips in my mobo galaxy died...

what do they say? "hardware dies silent (and with a very bad smell)" :(

Isegrim

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I think the problem, arrises with the words "Aldi" and "laptop"

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I have to agree with Lump.
    Aldi and computers don't mix, hell aldi and food doesn't mix.

It's like when tesco were selling computers it only lasted a few weeks. I'd say get your money back and go to a computer store with a better name.

Folks,

It's a lovely machine actually; solidly built, looks nice, and cost over £450 less than the Dell alternative when it was bought. In fact, you still can't buy a laptop of the same spec for less money nearly 2 months later. I'm still kicking myself over missing the desktop machines Aldi had in stock a couple of weeks ago.

But back to the point.....someone on Boards must have bought one of these laptops. I would greatly appreciate a reply from one of them stating whether or not they're having problems.

Bosco

Advertisement