Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stuff I want: advice please

• 01-07-2000 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

I was hoping to get all the parts for a brand new self assembled pc. Here's what I was thinking of:
    A dual processor MB (don't know much about them so please advise)
    At least 128 MB ram
    A SCSI hard drive >= 10 GB
    Floppy (still need the *******)
    And of course a processor or two.

Now I would prefer a dual processor MB which will allow me to have only one processor (if sch a thing exists), and all the rest of the stuff I either have spares of or will get from a friend. I am in America and need advice on brands and such so please help.
    btw is stuff cheaper over here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Get the supermicro p6dbs. Its a dual board that supports coppermine p3 chips. It will run with only one chip. Get a copppermine 600-800 (whatever budget dictates), 100mhz bus version. You can add another later on, but it has to be the exact same type of chip. This board also has scsi on it. If you already have a scsi adapter, get the supermicro p6dbe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

That's a good old help gerry, don't have scsi so I'll be getting the former.

Now about the rest of the stuff????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

(right you know when you read back through your post and realise its a load of crap? i just done that)
    goddamn football match distracting me.

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 02-07-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

what are you reely asking ?

looks like u just wanted mobo knowlage and were trying to brag about the rest . and what you building ? a server ? come on do you reely need a scsi hd ? o well . stuff in the us as far as i know is cheep .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, you dont ned that spec..... unless you doing a **** load of video or graphic work......... Or a server.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nickb

Dont forget youll need nt cos 98 or 2k wont recognise dual pro's oh yeah dont buy a 1k GHZ gateway there be bugs!!! It locks up its on the cnn website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Well actually I was hoping to be able to do a bit of video and graphics work, and I don't want to build a comp. that becomes redundant in two weeks (like my last one did (which wasn't built by me)).

But if anyone has any better suggestion I'm all ears, I (like the next man) don't mind saving a bit of money.

Oh yeah, I was under the impression that win 2k was the only windows OS that supports multiple processors properly, as that was what I was planning on getting.

Another question, will 98 not run with two processors or will it just not use one (or both) of the processors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

yeaah, i always thought dual was cool.
    but basicaly, you won't really need it. scsi, yea go for it, makes a noticeable difference.

lorra ram, big chip, moterboard u can decently overclock. if ur strapped for cash just stick with ata-66 as a pose to the scsi above.

dual processor machines really aren't that great. course it does all depend what ur going to be using it for. if it's going to be graphics and stuff.. thought of getting a mac at all ?

I dunno, just throwing out ideas
    Gav

Advertisement