Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCMCIA Network Card and or it's adapter problems?

Options
  • 05-12-2001 3:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi. This is a continuation from the thread
    "Networking 2 PCs with CAT5"
    And this is the last thing I wrote there:

"Cable defintely works! 95 and ME machines are fine
    Ok I got the 95 and ME machines to connect fine
    I can't get the 98 (laptop) to connect to either the 95 or ME.
    This tells me that it's either:
    1. The adapter that goes from the PCMCIA network card to the cat 5
    2. The network- which I don't think it is because it's looks fine under device manager and the network card logon comes up every time the computer is turned on.
    3. The drivers- which I really don't think as I reinstalled the device.

So I think I'll buy a new adapter for the pcmcia net card. Anyone know how much? Any other suggestions or diagnostics I could try?"

So the network card is a 3com Etherlink III PCMCIA 3C589C and the driver is "3com Etherlink III PCMCIA (3C589B/3C589C)"
    The interupt is "3" and it's says device is working fine in Device Manager- but most of us probably know it's not very reliable.

So is there any diagnositcs anyone recommends? I personally think it's the adapter that goes from the PCMCIA card to the CAT5 cable. Any suggestions would be appreciated :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

Sorry- "2." above should read:

2. The network card- which I don't think it is because it looks fine under device manager and the network logon displays every time windows loads.
    (and defintely should be definitely- I shoulda read the whole thing before I submitted it- doh!)
    ;)

Advertisement