Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget: More money for Broadband

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

More money, yes, but targetted at their definition of broadband (leased lines) again I see. "Large scale employers" no less. Haven't the "large scale employers" gotten them in enough trouble already? When are they going to tell us about Plan 'B'? Surely the masterful McGreedy has a Plan 'B'?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fooger

Despite the liberalisation of the telecoms industry, however, the private sector has been unwilling to fund broadband development outside major urban centres.

What liberalisation? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by dahamsta
    More money, yes, but targetted at their definition of broadband (leased lines) again I see. "Large scale employers" no less. Haven't the "large scale employers" gotten them in enough trouble already? When are they going to tell us about Plan 'B'? Surely the masterful McGreedy has a Plan 'B'?

adam

Haaa Charlie again haa haa, anyway, the irish goverment is to stupid to work this right, 5 years ago they brought in per minute phone charging, if they handt we would have flat rate now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

money alone won't do it you stupid government idiots ... *cough* why did you delay the communications bill *cough*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What liberalisation?

Well, the comms market in general isn't too bad, although it could be a hell of a lot better than the Regulator makes out in her recent quarterly report. Leased lines, bandwidth and Internet connectivity are still atrocious though. Embarassing even. Pathetic even. Shameful even. Et cetera ad nauseum.

Of course, it's the cost of bandwidth that is ultimately responsible for caps...

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Originally posted by ando
    money alone won't do it you stupid government idiots ... *cough* why did you delay the communications bill *cough*

Well given the fact that we have had a corrupt government in the past, what makes things different now?? Methinks that someone paid someone to stop some bill from going through. Thats what I think, and Im almost sure I coudl be right. Greed my good man is what its all about :)

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Rather sweeping statement Mat.

(personally I don't think you're too far off the mark, corruption and self-back scratching seems to play a serious pervadnig influence in Irish politics)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

now increased by 1% extra in VAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by corkie
    now increased by 1% extra in VAT

Did Eircom, or any other telco, pass on the 1% saving in VAT after the last budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

ohh hazzah! More money for Eircom to arse around doing 'trials' so they never have to release a serious product.. My friends, this is a victory for Eircom broadband. (Just a pity that 95% of the people that want this service will never see it)

pass the blinkers please - the road ahead is rosy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by NeilF
    Did Eircom, or any other telco, pass on the 1% saving in VAT after the last budget?

Generally yes, because they add it at the end.

Advertisement