Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL installation Question(s)

Options
  • 05-12-2001 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

For this trial, will I have to buy my own Ethernet card? Is that a definite?!

I'm kinda clueless about this so what else do I need apart from the ethernet card?

I was looking around the shops for Ethernet cards and I saw a "Genius 10/100 fast Ethernet Card", is that the right type, or is there something special I need to look out for seeing as its adsl and not a lan?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm clueless about networks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Thats all you need, if your getting the ethernet modem, they will supply you with cat 5 cable. or they should, if he tries leaving with out giving you some, knock him to the ground and ransack his van :)

anyway no thats all you need to buy,

PS the eircom guy i was talking to called it an ethernet modem, what a ****ing dumb ass,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Any 10/100 ethernet card will do. Even a 10-baseT or whatever the regular 10Mps card is called would probably do seeing as it's faster by far than the adsl line you'll have

The 3com cards can't be faulted and in MHO are the best but the Genius card will do fine (assuming their driver support is good enough to offer XP drivers and such)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Thanks alot folks!! :D

Advertisement