Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes problem

• 03-07-2000 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

ok I just want to know if i'm right here .
    2 domains one running Notes Domino Server the other isn't however it is using notes.
    I've got 5 of the 10 systems connectedf however the other half wont' even when they are brought into the 1st domain. I think it's a licence issue, but my problem is.
    1. How do i KNOW it's a licence issue ?
    2. how would i fix it ?
    3. is there a problem with notes between domains ?????

THanks

P.S. I think Hobbes your the man !!! smile.gif

***** Feel my Evil Neon Claws *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Check ur mail. Point 3 though there is no problem that I'm aware of. Set up notes to use TCP/IP and if it's a DNS issue set up connection documents in the clients.

Actually I just remembered something which may be your problem.

Server1.. Domain DOMAIN1
    Server2.. Domain DOMAIN2

Now by default some in Domain2 cannot access the server Domain1

So if "User/DOMAIN2" tried to access DOMAIN1 they would get the message...

"You are not authorised to access this server"

So you have to tell the servers that they are allowed to connect.

1. Get an ID from Domain2, bring it to the server (anyones will do).

2. Erm, run the server manager and there should be a "cross certify certificate" (think that's it). It should be the one that asks for an ID file.

3. Once you done that, a dialog pops up with an option to certify "USER/DOMAIN2", select that list and select only the Domain name then click ok.

4. After that, anyone with that domain ID can connect to the server. You will still have to set the ACL settings in the DB's.

Not great help, I'm assuming you know what your doing anyway smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

I've tried everything and it still won't work
    It doesn't seem to be a licence issue, i can ping the servers by both DNS name and ip addy, yet notes still can't find a pth to the servers !!!!!

strange or wha !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

Just found out it's a known problem with Notes Server 4.x and NT ... dam winsock !!!!
    i'm trying to get the patch for it but no luck so far frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

first of..
    you have to know what youre doing
    secondly, you have to get yourself a life
    thirdly, dont break your birds nose. she might stick with you then.....
    forth, wash.
    fifth, dont wash...scrub
    sixth, realy hard. use a toilet brush or a brillo pad if you have to.
    seventh, dont forget behind your ears...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

From my old days dealing with notes, it was a tcp/ip thing, just changed it too look at the ip on the client, mostly happened on 2/3 fresh installs.

as hobbes said above..

Ro

Actually Ronin, Gamblor may be correct. There was a bug in NT SP6 (or was it 5? I forget) which seemed to *accidently* mess up Notes. Basically the only way to get around it was to give everyone admin access to your server.

I guess you should of mentioned what Service pack? smile.gif Actually I think Service Pack 6a will fix the problem. I have a 4.6 server running at my desk on NT4 SP6a with no problems.

Otherwise if it says "Server not responding", then it's because Notes can't see the server. Set up a connection document or correctly DNS your server with the DOMAIN name of your Notes server (create an alias if you have to).

If after that it says "You are not authorised to use this server" then do the Cert thingy I mentioned eariler.

I see WWMan using his years of experience on tech support to help. wwman.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

SP6 had the problem, 6a fixed it

and

Notes sucks, it really really really sucks

Advertisement