Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make this a general election issue!!

Options
  • 05-12-2001 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

There's a general election in the pipeline very soon and the main economic issue, the budget, is now out of the way. It's about time that we started to get as much support for this campaign from every political party and politican that we can lobby.

We need to raise the profile of this issue.

Everyone who is a member of Ireland Off Line or who regularly reads these pages should make an effort to contact their local politicans, not just the local FF TDs. Have a chat with your local "potential candidates" from every party as well as with the local TDs. Talk to opposition party TDs in particular.. labour and FG. Tell them how you feel about this issue and explain that THERE ARE VOTES IN IT!!

If one party could be convinced to persue a national broadband ACCESS!! strategy as part of their manefesto it would suddenly turn it into something that every other poltical party has an interest in.

Any chance the committee could help by producing an information pack (perhaps as a .pdf on the website) outlining the problem and how we compare to other countries and why this is so dammaging to the economy??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Dont mean to be skeptical but there is a great difference between what politicians 'promise' and what they actually deliver. We must be careful to avoid this kind of situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭d-j-k

A promise = publicity = being taken seriously!

And at least if there were some politicians making promises about this then it would be seen as a "real issue".

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Matfinn
    Dont mean to be skeptical but there is a great difference between what politicians 'promise' and what they actually deliver. We must be careful to avoid this kind of situation.
    Yup. That's why my strategy is different: I am contacting the various candidates around here, and letting them know that whichever of them does most to get the Communications Bill passed before the election will get my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

yea, i was looking at the labour speach yesterday, it mentioned the **** state of the rail network, the roads and the water, but nothing about communication. it woudl eb a good two in the eyes to FF as they are the ones who sold Eircom, alot of people are pissed off about share prices as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

At the moment most of the political parties buy into berties delusion about ireland being he e-hub. I honestly think they look at the investment in the tech sector and availability of broadband to businesses and dont see a problem.
    thats probably why there was no communications mentioned in the labour manifesto. This is where Ioffl comes in. they need to be made aware of the poor state of the consumer/SME telecoms market.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I honestly think they look at the investment in the tech sector and availability of broadband to businesses and dont see a problem.
    They've obviously never tried to get a leased line in north Mayo, then. There quite simply isn't any bandwidth up here.

Mind you, considering that they are planning to upgrade the N5 from its current cart-track standard sometime after 2019 -- maybe -- that's not really a surprise.

Advertisement