Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which GeForce3?

• 05-12-2001 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Greetings,

Ordering new comp, comes with Geforce 3 Titanium 200 (Ti200), but for 100 squid I can upgrade to a Ti500.
    Specs of normal GeForce 3, Ti200 and Ti500 below:
    GeForce3 Ti 500
    Graphics Core: 256-bit
    Memory Interface: 128-bit DDR
    Fill Rate: 3.84 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
    Operations per Second: 960 Billion
    Memory Bandwidth: 8.0GB/Sec.

GeForce3
    Graphics Core:: 256-bit
    Fill Rate: 3.2 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
    Operations per Second: 800 Billion
    Memory Bandwidth: 7.36GB/Sec.

GeForce3 Ti 200
    Fill Rate: 2.8 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
    Operations per Second: 700 Billion
    Memory Bandwidth: 6.4GB/Sec.

As u see the Ti200 seems to be worse than the normal GF3, but according to Nvidia both Ti cards have new features called "shadow buffer technology and 3D textures" which you don't get on the normal GF3. So I'm going for the Ti200 over the normal GeForce 3, even though it has lower specs. Question is, at the current rate of advances in game graphics, is it worth forking out the extra 100 for the Ti500?

Ooh one other thing, is PC2100 memory better than PC133/PC100/etc?

(uhuhuh)Thankyouverymuch.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
    Greetings,

Ordering new comp, comes with Geforce 3 Titanium 200 (Ti200), but for 100 squid I can upgrade to a Ti500.
    Specs of normal GeForce 3, Ti200 and Ti500 below:

GeForce3 Ti 500
    Graphics Core: 256-bit
    Fill Rate: 3.84 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
    Operations per Second: 960 Billion
    Memory Bandwidth: 8.0GB/Sec.

GeForce3
    Fill Rate: 3.2 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
    Operations per Second: 800 Billion
    Memory Bandwidth: 7.36GB/Sec.

GeForce3 Ti 200
    Fill Rate: 2.8 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
    Operations per Second: 700 Billion
    Memory Bandwidth: 6.4GB/Sec.

As u see the Ti200 seems to be worse than the normal GF3, but according to Nvidia both Ti cards have new features called "shadow buffer technology and 3D textures" which you don't get on the normal GF3. So I'm going for the Ti200 over the normal GeForce 3, even though it has lower specs. Question is, at the current rate of advances in game graphics, is it worth forking out the extra 100 for the Ti500?

(uhuhuh)Thankyouverymuch.

Let me guess : Dell. Or something like that
    Don't mind that new stuff not a huge improvment imo
    IMHO you should get the original gf3 performance difference is negligeble. around 3% average
    PC2100 = 133fsb DDR
    PC-133 = 133fsb SDRAM
    PC-100 = 100fsb SDRAM= ****
    Arranged in order of performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The difference between the original GF3 and the Ti200 isn't much. You can overclock your Ti200 and they should be about the same. The Ti500 is better though, but only because it's faster (there's no other improvements on the card).

As far as value for features goes the Ti200 is best value for money, but the Ti500 is definitely a better card (not sure if it's worth the money though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by koneko
    The difference between the original GF3 and the Ti200 isn't much. You can overclock your Ti200 and they should be about the same. The Ti500 is better though, but only because it's faster (there's no other improvements on the card).

As far as value for features goes the Ti200 is best value for money, but the Ti500 is definitely a better card (not sure if it's worth the money though).

I ordered a new Geforce 3 Ti 500 last week - still hasent arrived yet rolleyes.gif im bl33ting at them as i type, but that said wood still take a regular gf3 over a ti 200 anyday and I would pay the extra ton for the 500 - sounds like a good deal, and idea which make of GF3 it is ?

when it arrives il tell ya how manny million 3dmarks i get tongue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The GF3 Ti200 is basically an attempt by nVidia to fill a gap in the market - to supply a card with all the features of a normal GF3, but which isnt as pricey.

The nVidia trend is to offer new models every 6 months. This has typically taken the form of a new tech arriving annually, with an extended range (both faster and slower) 6 months later for the Chrimbo market.

The Ti 200 is fine, as long as you arent building the absolute maximum gaming machine. Is a Ti500 worth the extra hundred bills? Well, if you have 'em, and the rest of your pc's spec is up to it, then absolutely. But if youre doing something silly like running a machine with only 128MB of RAM, there *may* be better places to spend your extra few notes.

Me - I'm getting a Ti200 for my 1.4 AMD. Why? Simple - the flatscreen I use only runs to 1024x768. A ti200 can p1ss all over that resolution, even with FSAA turned on in most cases. Had I a big CRT though, capable of "decent" resolutions, I'd definitely get a Ti500 instead.

AS for the "basic" GF3. AFAIK, its the exact same tech. All the Ti series has done is used a different manuf process (.13 micron instead of .16 IIRC) and upped/downed the core speeds. If you see a "conventional" GF3 for much cheaper than a Ti500, its well worth the pennies.

jc

I wouldn't go for the Ti200 meself, either, but value wise is pretty good. If you can afford more get a Ti500, definitely. I'm getting mine next week or so, and getting rid of my GF3. My situation is a little diff though as I can get them really cheap, so it's more of a constant upgrade :D
    I have a 21" monitor (oh yay crank that resolution up baybee), and just about everythin in my pc is overclocked heh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

im running a GeForce3 64Mb Ti200 card and i have no prolems with it.

jaz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

The GeForce Ti 200 is indeed "worse" than the other cards, but not by much... in fact, I've seen a fair few Ti200 cards ship with exactly the same memory latency rating as the regular GeForce3 (and I think a few, if not all, Ti500 cards too). You should be able to clock it up to the same speed as a regular GeForce3, at least, if you want to .

There's not much point in forking out an extra for the Ti500, as the difference between these cards and regular GeForce3 cards isn't worth that much.

The extra "shadow buffer and 3D textures" mentioned are features on all GeForce3's that have been activated with later drivers.
    Yes. PC2100 is better than PC133, and PC133 is better than PC100. You will need a DDR motherboard to support PC2100 RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Originally posted by NeoSlicers

Let me guess : Dell. Or something like that

Hehe nope. I'm stupid, but not that stupid :D
    The comp's an Evesham, which ppl seem to either love or hate. Athlon XP 1900+, Asus A7V266e, 512MB pc2100 RAM, 100GB hdd, 19" LG crt, Soundblaster Audigy etc. Niiiice ;)

Thankyou ladies, gentlemen and hermaphrodites for your valuable time. I'm getting the Ti500 btw.

Evesham, dang, heard nothing but bad things about them.

Specs sound good though. Why not buid your own? :)
    Good choice on the graphics...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

What about the GF2 Ti 450 cards ? Are they worth £150?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i seen a Hercules 4000XT 64mb graphics card in town for £100
    is this any good or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Well I think the 4000XT is the Kyro I and not the Kyro II which is the latest one. £100 for an obsolete card doesn't seem good.

£100 for a Kyro 1? Cmon now. My last card was a Kyro 2 for £70, which sounds good for the price but comes up with weird graphical glitches eg painting textured squares with the flashlight in HL or pretty rainbow textures when you use flashlight or flares in Aliens v Predator 2. Also for some reason the latest drivers are screwed up, since all games and video files take about 10 minutes to load, freezing ur comp as they do so. Finally, you might want to consider it for new games but if you'll only be playing HL go for an old Voodoo 3 or something, since Kyro II works fine on Max Payne and Operation Flashpoint but gives ****e fps in CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I was thinking about getting a ti-200 and I have found a few that are within my price range:

64Mb ABIT Siluro GeForce 3 Ti-200 Pure
    64Mb Asus V8200-Ti-200 GeForce 3 Pure
    64Mb GeForce 3 Hercules Ti-200 TV Out
    64Mb MSI Ge Force 3 Ti-200 TV/out / DVI

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they all geforce3 ti-200's. The prices differ ~£30 but are they not the same card with a different fan/colour daughterboard/little tag at the end. I mean is there any real difference to these cards and if so what?

Which is the best?

I just want to know cause if there's not then I will get the cheapest and be happy with it. But I don't want to get the worst one if all I needed to do was pay another £30 or if the £30 would have actually got me a difference in performance that was worth £30.

Thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

get the ASUS card clown, tis the better one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

There is little performance difference in those cards.
    The main difference between those cards is there hardware(video-in, video-out), software bundle and how overclockable they are.

While on the subject of graphics cards i was wondering people's opinions on the RADEON 8500 if anyone actuallly has one of these cards. Since this card is only a wee bit dearer than the Ti200 i was going to go for it instead of a Geforce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Actually I'd go with the Asus too. Even their 'pure' (basic, no extra video features) has onboard temperature sensors - which are very handy when you're overclocking it at first. Also they have an excellent utility that can lower the card clock speed dynamically if it starts to get too hot, then ramp it up when things have cooled down again - Though it's better to just play with the speeds yourself so you can find the optimum constant performance/stability point, that option is still good if you don't want to spend the time.
    I picked up the 8200 deluxe (normal Gf3) a few weeks back and was stunned at how stable it was. It runs fine at 260 core and 560 Ram, which is quite a bit over a Ti500, with the onboard fan replaced by a 20cfm 40mm. I haven't pushed it further as there's no need to at the moment (Mech commander 2 zipping along at 1280x1024@32 with 4x Fsaa is pretty..:)..).

Gah. Mine's a no-name card, I eventually found its a Leadtek. Which sounds like cheat ****e but I'll just have to wait and see.
    BTW CreeD let me know if your GF3 blows up or anything, if not I might give this overclocking lark a try. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

What about getting a GF2 Ultra (ram is 460Mhz as opposed to the GF2 Ti's 400Mhz _ core is same on both) 32Meg DDR for around £170 Irish delivered to my door?

I'm also looking for a quiet fast DVD drive. A Disc exploded in my 16x/40x AOpen Satuday night. Twas amazing how the thing broke up into so many little pieces. Bits in every nook and cranny of the drive. Unless I can get a replacement from some RMA warrenty or something (have to lie or be economic with the truth for that) I'll be loking to shell out another £50-60 odd quid on one.
    If i get the cash I'd buy a GF2Ultra/GF3Ti200 and overclock it or a Regualr GF3 and do the same. Would have to have TV out though.
    Do Asus use low latency ram in their cards?

All the yankee overclocking rich kids in California seem to use nothing but Asus.

Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak
    What about getting a GF2 Ultra (ram is 460Mhz as opposed to the GF2 Ti's 400Mhz _ core is same on both) 32Meg DDR for around £170 Irish delivered to my door?

Personally, I cant see why anyone would want to stay with a GF2, now that the GF3 range has an affordable card, but there you go :)

I'm also looking for a quiet fast DVD drive. A Disc exploded in my 16x/40x AOpen Satuday night. Twas amazing how the thing broke up into so many little pieces. Bits in every nook and cranny of the drive. Unless I can get a replacement from some RMA warrenty or something (have to lie or be economic with the truth for that) I'll be loking to shell out another £50-60 odd quid on one.
    I would have thought that the DVD manufacturer would be liable for preoducing faulty goods here. Disks do not explode unless faulty :) Of course, thats probably a dead-end street, but maybe worth a small bit of effort.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Right, heres the deal. For god knows how long now, nvidia have always designed a board to go along with their video chips when they release a new one. Manufacturers used to design their own boards, now they are just content to implement nvidias reference design. Hence the vast majority of nvidia based cards differ only in their colour, and perhaps the heatsinks on the card.

Sometimes makers will use faster ram on their cards too boost it a bit, usually however the ram is the same speed across the board, and it is one of a few brands.

The cards have gotten so similar that even the ancilliary components on the cards, like voltage regulators, and capacitors are often the same brand across different boards.

It used to be the case that cards with extra features like tv-out would use a non-standard design, but afaik, nvidia now have a reference design for a tv out card as well. Afaik the only manufacturer who strays from the reference design is asus. But their geforce3 (well the deluxe version) is not faster, it just has extra features like tv in and 3d-glasses output.

There is an awful lot of hype surrounding video cards, despite the fact that they all seem to perform the same.

Very cheap cards, with no name on them at all, will perhaps be of lower quality. Apart from that you are really paying for the name.
    Zaphod mentions Leadtek. They are actually quite a high quality manufacturer, and they have made dells nvidia video cards for years. But they don't get much press over here, so they seem to be an unknown quantity because they aren't hyped to death.

The quality of almost all the cards you can buy is very similar, in terms of reliability and stability. Manufacturing quality does not differ very much these days.

Take the hercules cards, they have a blue pcb, and ram sinks, but it is still a reference design. Is that worth paying extra for? Do nvidia give them the pick of the geforce chips so a hercules card will overclock higher? I really don't think so. Yet plenty of people seem to swear by their "herc". Rather hilarious.

In my opinion, you should get the cheapest card, unless you are looking for extra features, or "free" games thrown in. If you haven't heard of the make, read a few reviews on the net. I've only encountered a sub-par card once, it was a voodoo banshee, and wouldn't tolerate any pci bus speed above 33mhz. The maker proved almost impossible to track down, but it was a generic no-name card, and this is the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Creative have just about the cheapest Ti 200 out, was about 139 sterling, was about to get it, but it was out of stock so got the next cheapest and in stock asus Ti 200 at 166 sterling, had no problems with it, but the creative one would have performed the exact same.

Got 3 games with the Asus, Messiah, Sacrifice and Star Trek New Worlds, whether they're worth the extra 26 i dunno, ain't installed them yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

My Geforce3 Ti200 should be arriving by the end of this week.
    In fairness, a Geforce3 is a Geforce3. They can allways be clocked, and the performance isn't that much less considering the amount of money you're saving.

OEM would be better tho, if you ask me. The 'free' games they give are usually shíte. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Astro, could you post up a link to where you got that?
    I'd nearly go for one.
    Have a GF256 SDR at the moment and am looking to upgrade at least a Generation ahead ( Though I ahd considered a GF2 Ultra for IR£160-170 quid to my door rather good......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

In response to Astrofool's post.
    I have a ASUS v8200 Deluxe.

Sacrifice isn't bad (looks great too), Messiah is a VERY annoying (not sure yet if it's in a good/bad way), and New Worlds is quite possibly the WORST REAL TIME STRATEGY GAME EVER.

Anyone know a good tutorial for overclocking a GeForce 3 Ti200?
    Hopefully at idiot-level, since installing sound/vid cards and RAM is about as technical as I get. Thanks.

Anyone know a good tutorial for overclocking a GeForce 3 Ti200?
    Hopefully at idiot-level, since installing sound/vid cards and RAM is about as technical as I get. Thanks.

HAve they locked it or something? Normally, all nvidia cards can be overclocked directly from the display control panel (nvidia reference drivers) or using any myriad of tools out there like nvmax.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Btw i'm getting the asus 8200 ti-200 pure. Thx for the help lads.

Along with my new epox 7kha+ and amd 1800+ xp it should be nice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Zaph, you need a reg hack to make the drivers display the overclocking tab. Download whichever one of these suits your OS and run it. Go to the Geforce advanced display properties and you can find it there. I recommend moving up in 10Mhz increments (2x that for the ram). Then try something like 3dmark on each, play a few games etc. If it's okay then move up again. When you hit a point where it hangs, lower both ram and core by 10 and then up one of them a few Mhz at a time. When you hit a stopping point again, go back to the last known good setting and then start raising the other slider. Takes a while but it'll help you squeeze every bit of performanc you can from the card.
    As a guideline just about every card under the sun should overclock by 10%, 20% is doing well, 30% is very lucky.

http://www.dangerousdog.com/downloads/videotweaking/coolbits/coolbits.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

got my one at www.dabs.com

I wouldn't go near a gef2 ultra now, seeing as Ti 200's will be alot more future proof and outperform them in many cases, the only time the gef2 ultra can win is in situations where raw clock speed is all that matters to a game, and in those games, you'll be getting 100+ fps in them anyway so it's not a huge gain at all.

Almost all newer games should be faster on gef3's

Advertisement