Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which GeForce3?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Thanks for the help, just a couple of questions though.

First, if I overclock my card by say 20%, is it likely to damage my card or reduce it's lifetime even if it seems stable?
    Second, am I likely to need a new fan to overclock it by that much? The one that comes on my card looks a bit puny.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well, if it is stable, you aren't damaging your card. The major trick is to ensure your system is fully stable before you start overclocking, that way, if it crashes you know its because you overclocked it.

The standard fan may not be up to much, so you will have to work within its limitations, or else fit a better fan. Do ensure though, that there is some cold air blowing at the card, that will help whatever cooling is on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I use a program called Riva Tuner for o/c me graphics card.
    The Ti200 seems very o/c,able HardOCP got a hercules card to 245 core and 510 memory. Aanother reputable site which i cant remember at this minute got a reference board to 230 core and 520 memory which performed better than a Ti500 in benchmarks Which is over the 20% you mentioned so it is probable that yours will do somewhat the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I recommend replacing the fan, but dont go overboard. I once put a peltier on a GF1 and after a lot of hassle getting it all setup it didnt make one tiny bit of difference. if you can't do it with a normal decent fan then chances are it can't be done.
    What you replace it with depends on the card's HSF. The Blue Orbs were great for Hercules GF2's as you could just pop them on using the same fittings as the original. Asus and a lot of other companies use a much large ram-covering heatsink, what I did on mine was to take off the fan that came with it and superglued a decent 40mm fan on in it's place. Make sure the bond between them is very good as you really don't want the fan falling off and munching on whatever card is below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, I did the exact same thing with my GF256.
    Except as i had no supergue handy i used cheap ass electrical insulation tape.
    The real reason I wanted to replace the fan was because the origional one was making an aweful racket as it had gotten all clogged up.

Running chip at 125/173 atm I think. Much room for improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

More details on overclocking GF3s... Only for those who know what they're doing.

http://xbitlabs.com/video/geforce3-overclocking/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Xbitlabs rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

aha dell have to be the best expercience......

bought a 1.7ghz back in late june & dell charged me twice...i was not a happy camper, so I rang credit card services who then reimburst me with the 1800 smackaroones it cost, then 10 days later dell reimburst me also.....so I got a top of the range dell pc for free....so thats what I call customer service! even though it was a mistake on their part!!!

Advertisement