Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

another annoying ads thread

• 06-12-2001 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

Uder the cow really gets on my tits (no pun intended). It was disturbing enough that a male cow was shooting milk about the place, but now it's choclate milk? *shudder* I think I'm going to be sick.........

Then there's WorldCom who operate on 6 continents. Quite an acheivement considering earth only has 5.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger
    Then there's WorldCom who operate on 6 continents. Quite an acheivement considering earth only has 5.
    7 - the artic and Antarctica can also be counted as continents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

you said.... "7 - the artic and Antarctica can also be counted as continents."

our survey says.... wrong!

the artic is not a continent. it's jjust floating ice at the north pole. no actual land under it. the antartic IS a continent. I doubt WorldCom operate there. they probably meant....

1. Europe
    2. Africa
    2. Asia
    3. Australia
    4. North America
    5. South America.

I dont know if north and south america are officially classified as seperate continents. they should be thus making those 6 and antartica the 7 continents.

im going back to my hole now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If you hate Uder the cow (if HE's male, HE shouldn't be a 'COW', should HE?), then you might like I'm a Cow (1.21Mb Flash anim).

As for the continents thing... the words "and people call ME pedantic" jump readily to mind ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Bovine Gender Disorientation in ads is something that really annoys me too. I hate the "smooth and juicy" ads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Antartica is just an island and North and South America are one continent.

How about.........."It's ads like this that iritate me" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Not sure about this but doesn't the 5 olympic rings represent the 5 continents??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by Bard
    I'm a Cow

ROFL funny bastard of a clip, is it on the humour board yet lol

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger
    Antartica is just an island and North and South America are one continent.
    An island twice the size of Australia. A quick search throws up a few different answers as to whether or not the americas are one or two continents.

Originally posted by Baz_

ROFL funny bastard of a clip, is it on the humour board yet lol

Yes, - that's where I first found it... it was put on the humour board a couple of months ago.

:D

funny, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

Milk It!

How can you hate that poor cow?

If ever there was an ad to hate it's the Nivea (is it Nivea? ) ad with the two guys watching the advert themselves. It's meant to be soooo real and true to life and it's just not. Couple of tossers is what I think, and no I'm not going to go and buy some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Annoying ads...

Anything Bud have done in the past 5 years not featuring frogs and/or lizards. I see they're not featuring the Clydesdales so much any more. Guess they don't want people realising where the beer comes from I s'pose

On a lighter note, why does the Boddingtons cow have udders when he keeps trying to get it on with fine cartoon babe-types?

Oh, pedantry alert:

The correct spellings are "Arctic" (note extra c) and "Antarctic" (note extra c). I once spelled the former incorrectly during a spelling test (I was... let's say "rather young")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

or how about the ad where the dog is playing the piano, being life of the party, yet to me it looks likes the he is a she, hence the teet [titz].

or along the cow line, the ad for that beer, worthingtons or someting, with his udder flapping in the air, yet a cow is a she

all very gender crossing....

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    Not sure about this but doesn't the 5 olympic rings represent the 5 continents??

That's true - there's only 5 continents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

thanks Blitzreiger, finally some recognition.

and other adds, the one for eircom on the radio. the grandad and girl talking on the phone. about fainne the dog. every time i listen to it it really gets on my nerves as the conversation doesn't flow right. it might seem really minor but it really, really gets on my nerves.
    and of cource the kinder adds, quality dubbling.

noo reisen the chocolate chew. i will NEVER buy that product, lovely sweets but the add really annoys me

yes i hate most things

"Number of continents" is far more a historical thing of geographic perception than anything else.

Any real reason why Europe is regarded as seperate to Asia excepting that there's a big range of mountains running North-South north of Armenia and that Europeans perceived Asia as asomething different? Antarctica is bigger than Oz for crying out loud. Some places will list five, some six, some seven. I'll go along with seven because it makes more sense to me - whatever Pierre de Coubertin thought when he was designing a flag is a little irrelevant.

Adding Kinder adverts to the list (except for that charming Humpty Dunpty they used in the early 80s.

Also that long advert RTE blew their budget on before the government told them to bugger off and stop wasting money on pencils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Nivea - 'For men who dare to care'

Somebody's going to get fired from that marketing department come the new year.

Originally posted by sceptre

Also that long advert RTE blew their budget on before the government told them to bugger off and stop wasting money on pencils.

yeah - wtf was that!. Advertising a service that we're forced to pay for if we want it or not :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

I hate...
    Ads. Especially ones with children. Or animals. Or adults. Or music. Or words. Hell, burn 'em all :D:D:D

As for the number of continents, it's all a historical thing, and if it was a geographical thing it wouldn't help much, since on the grounds of being separated by water, all of Europe and Asia would be a single continent, while the Isle of Man would be a separate continent. Would make for some interesting wars tho :P

At the end of the day we're all on one bit of land and the water levels won't stay the same for ever. K I'm gonna stop now before I start quoting Lennon lyrics and.... I wuv j00 guys..
    heh.

Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
    I hate...
    Ads.

Isn't BBC great?... no seriously :)

I manage to tune out ads in general - basically I ignore 'em... - but that's probably because I ignore television for the best part and don't usually watch it unless there's some really good live event on.

Being a barman I've gotten into watching football and actually KNOWING WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE PREMIERSHIP lately!... but that's about it as regards telly... except for when I'm tired and the mammy has a soap on.

Billboard ads and magazine ads always catch my eye, mind you, - particularly because I used to be a designer I guess and it helps in web design to have a good eye for what's good in marketing and advertising.

Best ad I've seen on TV recently --- I have to think about it --- ... worst one, I don't have to think too hard... Kinder Duplo. "You like working out, don't you Kate?... but you also like chocolate?" ... then she talks to the camera and her LIPS DONT MAKE THE RIGHT MOVEMENTS FOR THE WORDS! (Ok I know it's dubbed, but its a corny piss-poor attempt at advertising to the regular Joe Soap).

Hmm... best ad... - I dunno, I reckon I'd have to go back as far as the "pint of Harp and a packet of dates there, Lawrence, please" one.

Remember that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Any of those Dial-A-Ring Dial-A-Phone etc adds are by far the worst adds on television, nothing compares to the atrocities commited by these adds.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bard

and her LIPS DONT MAKE THE RIGHT MOVEMENTS FOR THE WORDS! (Ok I know it's dubbed, but its a corny piss-poor attempt at advertising to the regular Joe Soap).

Piss poor attempt, you're right.

The one single thing that impresses me with some DVDs is the way they get the lip synching on for almost any language by changing the script. My awards go to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in English and Cruel intentions in French.

Damn crappily dubbed shows and ads (though I laughed and laughed last time I spent time in France)

Cogans Toyota. If you've been in a Cork cinema in the last few months you'll understand. Never seen an ad so devoid of imagination.

Ah, well if we can use cinema ads:

Keanes (aaaaaaaagh, I'll never ever buy there)

Eire communications or whatever it's called (crap production values R us)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

The express barbeque and rotisserie plus.
    "Wow - it's just like having Chef Tony in my own kitchen"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

How about the Laughing Cow ad? Now that ad just písses me off!

Oh btw there are 5 continents not 6 or 7. My god where were you people for primary school? I hope you haven't forgotten all your mountains, rivers and counties too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

That Johnsons baby shampoo (I think) ad. The one with the girl writing a letter to "Mr. Johnson" asking him to tell her mother to stop using the shampoo cos it's just for her.

The dubbing is so bad I actually think that they drew in little cartoon lips for her at stages to make it look like she's actually saying the words. Even then they don't move in time to the words, it's so so crap!

And that Lifestyle/Cinderella one gets to me aswell. Can you imagine the guys conversation with his mates the morning after meeting Cinderella in that club?

Guy - "Guys I think I'm in love! I met this incredible girl last night! I have to find her!"

Friend- "Wow! Well what's her name I might know her?"

Guy - "Oh I didn't get her name."

Friend - "Ah well what did she look like?"

Guy - "Well I don't know."

Friend - "..."

Guy - "She ran off on me, her shoe fell off and I kept it so now I'm gonna go around everywhere asking girls to try on shoes and the first one that this shoe fits on must be her"

Friend - ".....Ooooooooooooo-kaaaaaayyy :eek:"

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk

you could basically add all those best direct ads on late at night on tv3. except the titanium II knives. they clearly own my pants.

penalli2.jpg

The Penalli Pen Collection Features 7 Incredible Pens:
    • Fountain Pen
    • Roller Ball Pen
    • Executive Ball Pen
    • Combi Tri-Colour Ball Pen
    • Ladies Handbag Pen
    • Mechanical Pencil
    • Cheque Book Pen

Penallis' sturdy Iridium tip nib will withstand unbelievable wear and tear.

And there's more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk

OMFG NOOO! I had that out of my head an all ffs!

I spent like, nearly 45 mins watching that ad the first time i saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Worst lately is "Gym Form Plus" , presented by Chuck Norris and some American swimmer.

"It shapes , your buns, your thighs, your hips, your arms...Everything, in just under 5 minutes, and the thing about the Gym Form Plus IS...You feel even better, when you get off!!"

Then they interview some ppl that waffle on about how amazing it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Yeats County

Ahh, the Penalli pen, the pen that you can use for playing darts, the pen that will continue to write even after you smash it through a tin can.
    I wouldn't give that pen to anyone that would firstly smash it through a tin can and then continue to write, that would just be a bad career move.......

youcansave_1662_15173
    kdooalogo.gif

"Take three different picture sizes..." My arse! Take one picture size and get three different print sizes.

How come nobody mentioned Microsoft or Intel?

"Bring the Internet to life with a Pentium 3 processor." :rolleyes:

5 words: "ocean finance holds the key!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Ha ha ha BlitzKrieger. Thats so true.

Anybody ever see detonate.nets matrix pisstake? The website was shut down last week but they had a really cool bit were Neo's after getting beaten up in the dojo by Meopheus.
    Neo: "Woah! Your fast! You must have a killer processor and a Geforce 3 man!"

Morpheus: "Do you think my graphics card or my cpu have anything to do with my ping, in this place?"

Classic stuff :D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement