Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

infra red port on laptop

Options
  • 06-12-2001 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, i know ive asked this before, but here i go again.
    slightly different though :)

i have upgraded from window98 to win2k on my laptop.
    the reason i upgraded was because the sound on my laptop didnt work. not too sure why, but there you go.
    so i installed 2k and then my infra red port didnt work.
    so what you may say, well, because i use it with my [hone i say.
    fair enough you say :)

so, i figured, why not try linux.
    after being unable to install linux because it sucks all sorts of wierd objects, including the genetalia of donkys, i decided to go back to win98. my thinking was, hell, a full reload of the system could get the sound working.
    and could it?
    could it f*ck!

so i tried win2k again.
    and here is where you finally get to help me out :)
    my infra red port does not work.
    beofer it wasint installing drivers for it.
    now it says that it doesnt have resources for it.
    huh?
    ok, its disabled by the OS becuase it conflicts with my network card. which is on irc3 for some unknown reason?

i cant remember of hand what other resources are taken, but it seems odd that network card should be there. i mean they all had resources when using win98, why cant the work now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hrmmmm....
    /me strokes chin in a Freudian sort of way.....

Could you post a bit more on the specs, make and model of the laptop? As much detail as possible.

Can you into the BIOS?

Tis feckin strange that the sound didn't work when it was supplied.......or did it ?

You should be able to assign the IRQs etc. yourself.
    Most new PCs have 'IRQ Steering' which lets them have a few devices using the same port, like nInternet connection sharing i think, sort of...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

no idea if the sound worked or not.
    have had it a long time. cant really remember.
    but cant understand it working in 2000 and 98.
    but its the irq config that is confusing me.
    and no, win2k wont let me manually configure them.
    all i get is a few premade settings to choose from.

i can get into the bios fine.
    its a pII 300, standard laptop

although, now i think about it, it does have a xircom combo network, modem card. perhaps one of those is taking up an extra irq. i think i have a 3com network adapter about so i might plug it in and see if it frees up and auto installs the infra red port.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Dunno if this is relevant but I know there's some problem with win2k's implementation of ir - it doesn't use virtual com ports which the some mobile phone drviers expect (some nokia models) -i think there are third party solutions...

Is the port showing up in devise as unknown(with a ? mark)?
    I think I had to manually install it as a generic(there are only couple to choose from anyway so trying each may be an option,

lph

nope, its appearing as a ir port. its just disabled becuase of lack of resources, ie irq's.
    will see what i can do this evening if i can get away from AoK :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Hi WhiteWashMan,

I know IBM and Dell and the others have certain software that when installed you can play with com ports, diable IR and enable serial port, disable this and that,

Maybe try and get this software, or try and disable serial port, when one com port is free maybe then the ir might work.

Win 2000 has around 20,000 drivers, and should have drivers for older machines, they are a pain in the ass to configure correctaly, maybe format the machine and install win ME, this is like win 98 but alot better, and if your not worried about win 2000 security( I am not going into it), then it should not be an issue(depending you have a copy) if not try product web site and look for new win 2000 drivers as cd copy might be wrong,

I work in Win Nt and 2000 so I might be able to help you,

as [FCA]SyxPak asked for Make and Model, this would be good info,

anyway

Ranger Out................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

ive a dell latitude and in win2k the xircom modem/network combo card and IR port work perfectly. I use my phone with IR port too. I know this sounds really basic, but I'm presuming that in the bios of ure laptop the IR port is activated?!? Im only saying this because I know its possible to turn off the port on most laptops thru bios settings. I had major problems getting the ir port working in win98, but I changed to Win ME and Win 2k in a dual boot and now ir works perfectly in both OS's. In the highly unlikely event that you cant get any drivers for it, I'd say try Win ME. Hell its the only one you havent tried :) my xircom combo card seems to have chosen IRQ of 10, while my IR port is 3.. if that helps at all...

okey dokey.
    the ir port worked uinder win98. but the sound didnt.
    hence i upgraded to win2k.
    i installed win2k and the sound worked, but then the ir port didnt work.i would like my ir port to work because i use ot with my phone.
    when i reinstalled 98, the sound again did not work, but the ir port did.
    i reinstalled 2k and the ir port didnt work, but the sound did.
    getting a clear picture here.

there is no way in hell im putting ME on my machine becuase i happen to like my laptop. and although i have no problems with MS the way a lot of people do, i think ME is the greatest piece of sh!t. mainly becuase i am a field engineer and i know what im talking about :)

so, does any one else have some info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Isegrim

i do not like win2k or winME or winXP

we have some satellite pro 4600 laptops at the company were i am work
    and those were quite fine with win98 2nd
    but after some of my idio.... um... fellow coworkers installed windows 2k
    some of (expensive) parts of the satellite pro laptops are "nowhere to be found" or not supported
    (like dual head, isdn...)

i use a laptop from "who the hell knows"
    (p1 100; 4 gig hd)
    running red had 6.2 with kde and win 95b with a litestep shell.
    both systems work quite fine, no probs
    and this thing is faster browsing the in house network than the satellites with slowdown 2000

(i am no OS racist but this is what i see every day)

hm, have to say this is actually the first problem ive had with 2k and ive put it on all 3 of my machines.
    on the other hand, i had woeful trouble with mandrake :)

still doesnt solve my problem.
    er, actually, id forgotten about it for the time being until i saw this thread again :)
    must go home and fix that after work.

never let it be said i am not a big person who knows when to apologise.
    so here it is and its all you will get out of me... :)
    sorry

it was disabled in bios.

im such a tosser.
    youd think after a few years in support id really learn how to troubleshoot my own machine :(

anyway, it works now, and ive gone and tried to install the nokia suite and guess what, its not supported by win2k.
    typical!
    now, bugger of the lot of yee and never mention this cock up again thank you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement