Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

64 meg Geforce 2's

• 07-07-2000 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Ello,

Can anyone out there tell me are there any of the 64meg Geforce2 DDR availible yet and if so which one is the best (creative etc).
    Also, a good, cheap place i can buy one (that actually ship to Ireland)

Any feedback would be apriciated.

bubbs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

Dell do em!
    Price??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Getting a 64meg geforce2 is a waste of money. Just look at benchmarks from various hardware review sites to see what a **** all difference it makes. If you must get a 64meg one then obviously you want mad performance no matter the cost wink.gif. In that case, wait for one with ultra fast memory (tomshardware has a review on one of these).

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 07-07-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I heard it will be near x-mas for the super speed ram version to be out.... long time to wait.. and of course when that is released there will be something else just around the corner... so time to make a stand! Would the super duper speed ram be much improvement considering i have 2X AGP ?

At the mo me have a SDR geforce... I have a 800mhz machine and I feel i can do the chip more justice by getting a good vid card smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

cutting edge technology for cutting edge donkey pr0n....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Errrm, then just get a Geforce2 32meg. If you want that extra 3 fps in Quake3 high quality at 1600x1200 then by all means get a 64meg card wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Bubbles I tried to explain this to you before but you obviously haven't taken it in. The more onboard ram the card has the less and less AGP makes a difference. There isn't even much difference between AGP 2x and 4x so don't even worry about that. Obviously if you have a 16meg AGP 4x card playing quake3 at high detail it will out perform a 16meg AGP 2x card but once you have enough texture memory on the card AGP is useless apart from keeping a PCI slot free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

www.gameplay.com supply both 32 and 64meg versions of the Guillemot Prophet II, which is, imho, the best variation on the chipset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 iar_xeno

Well, I have both a Geforce 2 32Meg and a Geforce 1 DDR 64Meg and I can tell you conclusively imho that the 64 Meg version makes a difference even with todays games.
    Now the two machines I have are not equal the G2 is in a p3-550 2x and the G1 is in a p3-800, but anyhow heres my reasoning:
    Running Q3 on the G2 on any level barring q3dm9 runs like a dream with all options on max and 1024x768 (which is the max I'd want to run it), same with the G1. However run the q3dm9 and the G2 REALLY starts to struggle with textures at max, unlike the G1. The reason I assume is that q3dm9 uses above 30Meg of textures (source anandtech.com) and I think the G2 has to start swapping textures in while with the 64Meg you could be looking out the windows on quake onto the next map with not much trouble.

OK so not exactly a totally scientific test, but if you expect me to start swapping cards in the name of science think again.

Now if anyone thinks they have a solution to my juddering Q3 prob please respond.

Xenophobic

Advertisement