Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's like shouting down a well...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Problem: Eircom and Esat charge too much in Shannon

Solution: Lets put in more cable.

A tried and tested solution which I'm sure you will agree has worked wonderfully across the rest of the country.

earth calling mary, earth calling mary, earth ca........l.. . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

What we should do is become travellers, sign-on, and start farming on some gombeen island off the coast somewhere. The govt will be falling over themselves to give us broadband and satellite connections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Fergus
    What we should do is become travellers, sign-on, and start farming on some gombeen island off the coast somewhere. The govt will be falling over themselves to give us broadband and satellite connections.

LOL

"Yeah, we're going to sell gates online. Yeah, that's right, eGates.com. We're putting the server in Patrick's shed on Aran Mór."

adam

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

To be fair, this actually is something that needs to be addressed. If Eircom were to roll out ADSL tomorrow morning in Mayo, there simply wouldn't be any bandwidth to carry it back to Dublin. There is a fair bit of fibre running to Galway, but none up here.

So yes, they're missing the point regarding broadband as we understand it, but the investment that is being made in getting fibre to the "regions" is, in fact, desparately needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    the investment that is being made in getting fibre to the "regions" is, in fact, desparately needed.

Assume that there is some sort of half decent connectivity to the north west. There must be. Esat ran fiber on all the rail lines, including Ballina and Westport, did they not?

Would you rather have €44m spent on giving you affordable access to that bit of fibre, or on upgrading the capacity but not giving you access?

I know what I want. At what point will we actually start to use this stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    If Eircom were to roll out ADSL tomorrow morning in Mayo, there simply wouldn't be any bandwidth to carry it back to Dublin.

Wont see me of Kharn complaining..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Have to think about this a bit more. I have a "position" on fibre to the regions, but it mightn't be 100% realistic. Fergus "Research Guy", do we have any data on fibre distribution* in Ireland?

adam

*I think it's important to point out that I'm not talking about manure here.

map2.gif

The Projection for August 2002..

map3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Good info Fergus. I may move to Clonakilty yet (herself won't move to Limerick even if I do explain how important bandwidth is to sanity - but at least her homeplace can now be eliminated :) ).

Any idea when the first map is current?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

That fibre for Clon is going to the Technology park where Rand is and IrishMobiles and some new videoconferencing company.

Its not connected just yet, but its almost there. Rumour is some other big enough company that needs a lot of fibre will also be going in there.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Interesting info, Fergus. I am definitely going to have to make some inquiries, because lack of bandwidth is repeatedly cited as a major problem for this area. L10nbridge have a localisation testing facility here in Ballina, and are complaining bitterly that they can't get bandwidth.

Is it just that the fibre is unlit? Do we really have gobs of capacity lying under our feet, waiting for someone to plug it in?

I'm downloading that t4eb report now. I know some local people would be very interested in its contents.

Advertisement