Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone upgrade time...

• 07-12-2001 3:21pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I guess this is probably the right forum (I though of Wireless, but it's very quiet over there).

Anyway, it's time for an upgrade - my Ericsson R310s has served me quite well over the last year and a bit, but I think it's time to look into the possibility that there is another phone out there for me!

The Siemens SL45i looks promising as the thought of playing MP3s through my phone appeals to me. It's also got capacity for 500 names and numbers, which is quite a few (granted I on'y have about 170 in this one). Battery life is on par with the R310s (which is excellent - one full charge every 4 days). This bad boy weighs in at £249 on the upgrade (this is with Eircell BTW).

I'm not a fan of Nokias - I just don't like the UI on them, but if there's one for me, then I'd certainly entertain the thought.

So folks - who knows what about phones and how much is it likely to cost me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

well nokia have just released the successor to the 3330. Not sure of the number, but its more or less the same except smaller and you can now record conversations as with the panasonic. Oh and it lights up too (again the curse of the imac strikes).
    Its the same UI as all of nokias other phones tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well the new interface that nokia, seimens and ericsson are doing isnt out for a while si you will have at least one more phone before that becomes a standard.
    personally i think that nokias have best interface. in much the way that i loike MS products, i like things that are easy to use and never give hassle. so nokia for me.
    currently have an 8810. very nice it is. its just a standard phone and it allows me to make calls and texts. and that what i want from a phone, but it is stylish. any phone that you cant change the cover on is a plus for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

You couldnt go far wrong with a Nokia 6210. Bought one at the start of 2000 and even after a load of bad knocks and a really bad crack in the screen she's still ticking. Its the lightest phone I've ever had (even with the standard battery) and it has more memory than an elephant convention. Sure u dont get all those prissy things like changeable facias, but its a very good phone

(and u can actually buy new facias from some website - but u need a star shaped screwdriver and balls as big as buses to remove the cover)

Thats my two cents anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The Siemens SL45 looks good. My brother has one and is very happy with it. Depends whether you like the idea of popping Mp3 on your phone - I like to keep the two separate, but then I don't always bring my phone with me (same reason I wouldn't consider buying a Fuji 40i camera - don't see the point of buying a combo device while it's still bigger than my thumbnail. Also you'll be locked into the usual mp3 player problem - stuck with not much music if you change your mind halfway to wherever you're going).

The downsides:
    - It only comes with a serial connection so unless you get a card reader/writer transfer is bloody slow
    - The aeriel is still too big

The Nokia 5510 is an alternative, especially if you send a lot of text messages (the brother sends about 250 a week) - it's got that qwerty keyboard on the phone. Comes with a 64meg card - bigger than the SL45. And a USB connection. Dunno if it's out here yet but should be before Christmas

Downside of the 5510 - it's got the single navigation key of the 5510/3210, something that means I'll never buy it.

There's always the 8210. It's certainly small (and they've done something about fixing that problem people had with the brittle screens). Battery life isn't as good as the other Nokia offerings though due to small size. navigation like the 6110/6210 series

The new 8310 should be out here soon - upgrade to the 8210 featuring Fm radio and a few new things. I might get that, depending on price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

dav,
    what u looking for?
    gprs/bluetooth/small size/wap/contacts/callender?

have a poke around www.expansys.com

any Q's on ericsson phones send me a mail
    i use them all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I love my 6210. I'd be lost without it!!

Advertisement