Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win98 installing

• 06-07-2000 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

not sure why its crashing ian, but try booting into command promt from win98 cd and then fdisk that sucker. format your partitions and then start afresh.
    at least then you will know ifs just a dod*** install or if there is actually a hardware issue at fault...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Do these boards censor g33 or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

yea I would guess so. It's Irish for a rude word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

no it censors g ey as in dodg ey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Let's see: hairy gee!!

As for the topic, my V3 installation crashed part way through, but it was grand after I rebooted, installed no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

Probably a long shot elexes but check the BIOS and make sure the HD is registered correctly e.g. Number of cylinders etc
    I saw that prob once b4. And if you have any software for doing so run a full HD Test a head may b faulty.
    Also try inserting the ram into another socket and/or check the timing if you have any in the BIOS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

right firstly ive installed it millions of times . on my good old p2400 that never lets me down and now trying to fix all the bugs on the athlon . i just got a new hd for it and a v33500 went to install windows 98 and half way through the installiation it crashed with error and that nice blue screen came up . i re installed windows again but now whenever i try to install a program it usually crashes . its getting annoying and im clueless . whats the problom the mobo is the ga 71x
    the ram is one chip of pc 100
    the hd is wd 30 gb hd 5400
    50x speed acer cd rom
    10x speed pioneer dvd
    sb platinum .

where is somthing going wrog ? is it a hardware confliction that isent showing up in windows ? also netscape is crashing a lot .

thx lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

HMMMMM,

Well in the first place if it start installing you fine with the HD.....

Is the cd etc ok, Not scrtched etc. Cause I've had to deal with drive that have 1500 Bad sectors on them and windows install never crashed. only other thing is possible a jumper setting gone wrong, but again that would prevent you from even getting into the install.

john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Mweh, you probably have enough to go on by now, but you could try the Win98 install without the Voodoo3 and various other h/w devices, just use some 'bog-standard' display card, and install the other h/w when the Win98 install is complete.

I've had a few dodgeey win98 installs, and as WWM said, a good fresh fdisk works wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Well when I installed 98 I had problems too, ****ed me off mightily. What does that pretty blue screen be tellin you.

My problem was some file called "netbeui.dll" or summat like that, so I deleted it and now it works perfectly, haven't had a single problem since.

Well thats my AUS$0.02...

• Advertisement

will do thx

well no longer matters my other computers mobo has stoped giving power to the cpu fans so ive to send it back . o well what will i do .

Advertisement