Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drop Down Menus

• 07-12-2001 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

Hi all -

I hope the pages have sped up some, basically the drop down menus were created from a query before this and as well as the date check to see if you had new posts in each forum it was probably too much. I now just have it including some text for the drop down menus, advantage - faster, disadvantage - new forums won't appear until we edit the text manually.

As well as being quicker, I've taken out redundant font tags and used CSS instead, the size has dropped from 30k (I believe according to previous reports) to 15k.

It'll do for now anyway.

John.
    --

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

its a great feature, i was lost without it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, I kept moving the mouse up to the top only for no menu's to appear. It was a traumatic experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

amp test

Same here, I had to use the front page for navigation, oooh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

god i was lost without them :(

so are the little new post asterisks gone forever then? ill miss that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Yeah the new posts bit was the best part :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

The speed of the pages loading has speed up dramaticulity for me, well done Cloud. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Minor point....

AFAIR The title used to be "college life" & not "college" on the drop down. I think it just sounds a bit better the original way!

heck
    but if its goin to cause a headache just ignore this:)

EDIT

Actually I see its changed everywhere to "College" !?
    Any particular reason- I thought college life sounded better....:)

/EDIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

BTW

Just in case your looking for any updates on browser compatibility...

The New Drop downs are working fine on Opera 5.12-:)
    except they are aligning to the left? for some reason
    But
    Still dont show on Netscape 4.6 & 4.7:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

15Kb still fairly big for just one iddy biddy bit of a page... I'm sure ye can do better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Its certainly faster John. Pain in the arse about the .txt file. I lubs data driven queries personally.

• Advertisement

Certain things on the page - the menus included - add a bit of 'weight' to the page. How about the option in our control panel to turn them off?

Personally I know I'd turn off the drop down menus myself just for the sake of a bit of extra speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

now that is a good idea, probably a lot of work but when people moan about the slowness, at least you can then tell them to turn of an option or two, basically blaming them hahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Works excellently with IE 5.0, much faster, thank you. And I do us ethe drop down menus a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I don't understand why you don't just dump all that style sheet data into a file and use this
    <link rel=stylesheet href="http://www.whatever ... /style.css" type="text/css>

and dump all that huge long javascript code into a file as well and link to it using

<SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript" LANGUAGE="javascript" src="http://www. ... whatever.js"></SCRIPT>

Wouldn't that just be so much faster for loading? And make the pages so much more tiny and manageable.

nahdoic has the right idea. If you used linked CSS and JS files it would speed things up because the browser (AND the server) would cache these frequently used files for faster access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Yep the JavaScript should certainly go in a separate file, the CSS stuff is generated by vB (apart from 3 lines I added which aren't worth putting into a separate file).

J.
    --

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

They're working in Opera 6 but they're not working in Netscape 6.2

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

As handy as the menu's are, funnily enough, I never actually use them (And I don't think I ever have)... Still, they're nice to have, and seem to be running so much smoother (as does the entire board || for me anyway)...

Great stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Not working in Mozilla for me :(

Advertisement