Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Virus Packages

• 09-12-2001 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

With all those computer virus things doing the rounds – what anti virus packages would ye recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Norton AntiVirus 2001 Pro Edition: Win9X/ME/NT4/2K

CNET Rating: 9 out of 10

The good: Comprehensive antivirus protection; checks many possible points of infection, including Microsoft, Eudora, and Netscape e-mail clients.
    The bad: Hefty features may overwhelm casual PC users.
    The bottom line: Turn to Norton AntiVirus 2001 Pro for the best home and small-business virus protection.

http://www.cnet.com/software/0-806174-1204-4621250.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

www.grisoft.com

I use AVG. It's free, works well, no nonsense. Well, very little nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I support several diffwerent businesses, and have used many different flavours of AV . Norton, MaAfeee+ DrSolomons, InoculateIT, F-Secure etc.

They all provide easy install, easy and regular updates, and good websites.

I reccomend getting a 30 day trial of one, and testing to see do you like the interface etc.

I would probably not run an important machine on a free software, because I belive you get what you pay for. If there is a weakness in Norton for example, they will have the resources to fix it immediately. They are constantly aware of the latest threats,a nd move to release advice fixes etc, often before you even haer about the problem.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Point taken, and I agree completely, a free scanner isn't much good for an important box, but for mine, it's grand... I'm generally a suspicious git anyway when it comes to virii, the only thing that has ever got me was Win95/CiH two years ago. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Norton AV 2002, the best desktop AV package yet.
    It scans files, downloads, incoming AND outgoing e-mail and automatically updates when you connect to the Internet.
    I've cleaned up a lot of PC's that were infected over time and hardly anything gets by a (updated) copy of NAV...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

I have to support F-Secure day in day out, I am entitled by my employers license to use this software on my home machines and I won't let it near it.

Its up to version 5.03 now. 5.02 and 5.01 were major OS destroyers. Machines were constantly crashing and some OSs disappeared. Windows95 and it never got on at all, even if you had oceans of ram it wasn't kind to anything less that Win2K.

4.08 and earlier were grand except the default settings sucked. Oh and as of August the updates for the software won't work on 4.08 and earlier versions. A patch is needed which they didn't really inform people about.

I dislike Norton as it installs so much other crud too.

Innoculate IT is what I have an I can still get the free updates, small footprint and its fine.

Advertisement