Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

512k Always on Connection

Options
  • 09-12-2001 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi,
    Could someone advise me as to what they reckon is the most viable way of getting a connection speed of at least 512K into the centre of Galway. This would be in order to service an internet connection for 17 Computers.
    We would need the connection from about 8am till about 10pm, suggesting that 'always on' may be the way to go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

leased line. Call eircom or esat and ask them about it. It wont be cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Originally posted by Dustaz
    leased line. Call eircom or esat and ask them about it. It wont be cheap.

However at the end of the day, a leased line workes out cheeper and more efficient
    than an ISDN line that is on contantly for 14 hours
    a day, every day.
    Innitially its a big expence, but afterwards it pays itself back in more ways than one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

A leased line is the way to go. Vianetworks have good IP charges so I'd give them a call. You'll probably end up with an Eircom tail though. For 17 computers you should probably get 256kb or 512kb bandwidth.

128kb ISDN would cost you over £50 a day in call charges and probably wouldn't be enough for 17 people.

Also expect to pay £3000 for installation of the line and about another £2000 for a router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well I work in a company on Buttermilk walk in galway and we have a 256K line using MCI Worldcom. Eircom still have to supply the line and they take an age to install it. I think our 256 cost about 20K for the first year and then about 16K each year after that (I could be wrong on those prices).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

last years prices, its come down a heap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Whatever you do DON'T call Eircom or Esat better to go with Worldcom or the likes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

there should be all kinds of tax breaks for the west if you do get one, it might work out cheaper then dublin, but dont listen to what people say about prise, its all based on location

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might want to think of getting a better line than that the way bandwidth usage is going.

Also only Eircom have to share their 'physical' lines - no one else does - with anyone, so it might be wise to go for an Eircom line with the cheapest suitable service provider. A friend got stung on that when he got Esat to install 150 lines.

Advertisement