Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an idea from ie.comp

Options
  • 09-12-2001 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

I am sure that all of you must have an Eircom.Net CD some where, they seem
    to be just about everywhere. I bought PC Live the other day and Eircom had
    planted one its CD's on the cover. Now, my idea was why not send the CD
    back to Eircom!?! It costs them a lot to get these CD's distributed. I
    know this will cost the sender about 50p but what a great protest it would
    be if Eirconning was to get all its CD's back with a note; "Sorry no thanks,
    I support irelandoffline.com"

It was just an idea,
    Krouc

from ie.comp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Actually screw the 50p... why not 'forget' to stamp it and post it anyway... no ID on the outside, if Eircom want to find out whats inside they have to pay for the postage! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd much rather see a public dumping of the discs on the Eircom HQ doorstep (after they'd been scratched) or a public burning

Our problem is more with Eircom parent company than Eircom.net though (obviously they're effectively the same thing but they are technically different companies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Hmmmmm, thats an interesting idea. Don't they have a freepost address though ? So if you send it to that they'll have to pay for it, whereas if its delivered without freepost they could refuse to take it and thus not pay for it.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭smokin' an'chewin' man

I can just see it now:

"Internet pressure group IrelandOffline members, claimed by Eircom to be an anti-Eircom group, return installation disks supplied free of charge by Eircom's internet subsidiary. Many were vandalised. Eircom spokesman dismissed the action as " a misguided action by a tiny unrepresentative group of computer nerds egged on by Eircom's competitors"."

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I say send them back

say pick a day like april fools day (that should give people time to collect several eircom CDs seeing as their availible just about everywhere) then send them individually back

Eircom.nets adress

eircom plc
    PO Box 1
    Ennis
    Co. Clare

Funny that you would think that they would have ADSL at least for them selves think those people in the region asked if their exchange in Ennis was kitted out for it

• Advertisement

Yeah, they could spin that around too the bastards.

Ok hows this

get those free eircom CDs send them all off to rehab to be recycled and ask aircom to make better use of their recourses

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

eircomnetcdnothanks.gif

notice chunk cut out of CD to make it un-re-usable

I'm not putting it in the post, tho'... its sharp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by Bard
    notice chunk cut out of CD to make it un-re-usabl

Ah Bard..... Why didn't you slice the "fast" out of it :D

Since it costs Eircom for everyone used why not take one everytime you go into one of the petrol stations and other outlets that give the cds away ?

Keep on taking them and use them for coasters or something, or use the reflective side as clock faces. I've seen this done with kiddie projects. Good reuse of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Not 'SHARP' enough for those guys though. I have loads of Razor Blades to attach the the edge of it if you want ? :) LOL

MS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Since it costs Eircom for everyone used why not take one everytime you go into one of the petrol stations and other outlets that give the cds away ?

The more Eircom spends on CDs, the less it has to spend on rolling out broadband.

Valentia is going to be ruthless with expenditure to pay down its debt so hitting their bottom line is likely to be counter-productive.

Otherwise I could suggest a couple of easy ways to deny Eircom revenue (stop renting phones from them, nominate your Family & Friends numbers). But I'm afraid it would make a bad situation worse if everybody did this (tens of thousands of households still rent their telephones, paying 15 quid a year for a phone worth about 10).

Originally posted by davros

The more Eircom spends on CDs, the less it has to spend on rolling out broadband.

I don't think its the cost of rollout thats stopping Eircom right now. Maybe it was the millions it blew on local, nua, rondomondo and all the other companies and bonuses to its directors. Eircom are stalling for other reasons than costs.

Firstly i didnt know you could stop renting equipment from eircom anyone know how you go about that

secondly

eircomnetcdnothanks.gif

would make a good banner or website image

or better still

email signiture

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

LoL, had to make that my wallpaper ;)

would you mind if i belted that onto me site to more i see it the more i love it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by fcddunne
    Firstly i didnt know you could stop renting equipment from eircom anyone know how you go about that

Simplest way is probably to phone 1901 and ask them how you go about bringing back your overpriced rented phone. They'll probably tell you to bring it into your nearest Eircom centre. Ask them what date they'll stop billing you for the phone - ideally they'll say "from right now". then it's really up to you whether you actually bring the phone back or not.

And don't forget to tell your friends (all of them) how they can save themselves money by coughing up a tenner for a phone in Argos (or wherever) and stop renting that phone from Eircom.

(don't forget phone rental prices went up due to erm (hehe) "increased cost of providing the service")

This isn't anti-Eircom by any means. It's plain common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by Bard

Hehe, why not use some sand paper to blunt it. I was gonna say a sander and turn it to dust and send it off but then they might think we're trying to kill them...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You can get CD sized padded envelopes from the Post Office for about 40-50p.

Knowing Eircom, they'd probably accuse you of sending these sharpened CDs as "malicious material" through the post and you'd incur the wrath that anthrax hoaxers got.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by fcddunne
    would you mind if i belted that onto me site to more i see it the more i love it

er... I'm not sure... legal implications and stuff... don't credit me with it, if you put it up there, please...

or if you do, - do something to the eircom logo - blur it or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Robbo
    You can get CD sized padded envelopes from the Post Office for about 40-50p.

Knowing Eircom, they'd probably accuse you of sending these sharpened CDs as "malicious material" through the post and you'd incur the wrath that anthrax hoaxers got.
    whatever
    I think all that would happen is some mailroom clerk in Ennis (I think thats where Eircom/Eircomnet/Indigo print their bills) would throw the cds into a bin
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Good idea on the CD's :)

Also anyone who wants to save a few quid while thumbing their noses at Eircon should return their phone and save the line rental money to spend on sweets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 disConnected

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    ...Keep on taking them and use them for coasters or something, or use the reflective side as clock faces. I've seen this done with kiddie projects. Good reuse of them.

I am an avid gardener, soI usually take my coasters to shoo the birds away from seeds and anything else they could find interesting...
    Using those Eircom Cd's would probably get me into trouble with the ISPCA for a case of cruelty against wild animals... I'd assume the birds would start puking immediately once they see the Eircom logo on the CD:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Q_Ball

Hehe, why not use some sand paper to blunt it. I was gonna say a sander and turn it to dust and send it off but then they might think we're trying to kill them...

Emm, I'm confused.. Wasnt this what some of us are trying to do? (No no, I joke, jovial, chortling sort of black comedy directed at the spawn of satan.)

Take your sharp cd and round the points. Perfectly postable.

I have quite a large collection of perfectly good eircom cd's to return to their sweatshops but first I have to use them to scrape the carcases of various dead animals and mammals

if anyone hears anything about a madman breaking into the CUH morgue with a suitcase full of cds, think nothing of it for they are going home... *sha la la laaaa*

Advertisement