Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Windows 2000 Professional

• 10-07-2000 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Am doing this tonight - installing Win2K Pro as an upgrade from WinNT Server 4.0, because NT4 doesnt support USB and is having serious issues with Setup programs created in InstallShield, and because I want Win2K, basically.

Anyone have any last minute reccommendations or suggestions re installing or running Win2K?

Bard

|home page|scary éire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, installed it last week onto my nt4 drive. i didnt do the upgrade, just the basic replace operating system option and its working fine. didnt format, repartition or anything. everything that was there before is still there, with the exception of course of the nt stuff. tis all win2k anow and working fine.
    i might re ghost nt on it and then try the upgrade to see what happens myself tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Yeah its a piece of ****. easiest windows install yet. And it doesnt fall over anything like as much as I expected it to. Quite nice.
    Greg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ok - did it... had a few problems getting my DVD player working, but got another one working instead, so thats ok. Then again, - seems DirectX 7 is incompatible with Win2K, as is OpenGL, so NO QUAKE III!!! Argh!

Doesn't seem to be picking up my USB camera either- apart from that,... seems like a groovy O/S although I'll give it time!!!

Bard

|home page|scary éire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I was playing Q3 on a Win2K machine in college...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

funnily enough, ive just started studying for mcp exam in win2kpro, and it says in my nice microsoft book, that it is compatible with directx 7. either that, or it ships with it, not sure which.
    but, i do know that it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ok- perhaps it ships with it... can't claim to be very knowledgeable in it, all I know is that 98se had bombed out on my PC for the last time and I was having no more of it so I decided to go for the spiffy new model, Win2K Pro... and very nice it is too. It does seem though that OpenGL won't work... p|sses me off!...

Sico- you have to do anything special to get QIII working?... It's a MUST, dammit! wink.gif

Bard

|home page|scary éire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

I have q3 working as well...just installed the win2k drivers for my TNT from nvidia..
    no probs at all....Watch the USB support though, it's kinda buggy, sometimes you have to give it a few goes before the os catches on to the right device.

The hibernate feature is cool as well.

lphchild

Advertisement