Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking a PC & Laptop

Options
  • 09-12-2001 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

My sister has a Laptop computer with no Cd rom drive, She has some software she needs to install which is on CD. I have a home PC is there an easy way to transfare from my Computer with some sort of cable link up to her Laptop e.g not using a Network Card or buying an external drive.
    If you know a way and have sucessfully done this could you please tell me how.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

It depends what OS is running on the machines. If it's Windows 9x then there is something called "Direct Cable Connection" which will allow you to transfer information between two machines using a null modem cable.

You could simply copy the contents of the CDROM from your PC to her laptop. She could then run the install routine from her laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

Where coulkd one pick up a (cheap) null modem cable? I'm looking for one too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭trazix

The Laptop is running Windows 98 and in Direct Cable Connection it gves the option of a Parallel cable link or a Serial cable link. Is a Null Modem cable a Cross over type Paralell Cable and what kind of Serial cable would i need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

or could u borrow a zip / jazz / ditto drive ? install on both machines and just use the disks to upload / download ?

the serial connection would be very slow imo, so go for parallel.

The following cable can be used with file transfer and network programs like LapLink and InterLink. The cable uses the parallel port which makes it possible to achieve higher throughput than with a serial connection at the same low costs. The cable is at least compatible with the following software.

Laplink from Travelling software
    MS-DOS v 6.0 InterLink
    Windows 95 direct cable connection
    Norton Commander v 4.0 and v 5.0

Interlink and Windows 95/98 DCC parallel cable
    interlink.gif

http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/parallel.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Dual-headed multi-purpose null modem cable. Allows data to be transferred via serial ports of any combination of machines, with either 9 or 25 way RS232 serial ports.

Serial/RS232 Null Modem Adaptor Cable - 25 Way D Socket + 9 Way D Socket / 25 Way D Socket + 9 Way D Socket

Order Code MCL-353
    Length 2 metres
    Ships 1-2 days
    IR£ 10.70

from peats

• Advertisement
Advertisement