Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restrictive access to NT

• 04-07-2000 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

here's the situation: around 70 NT workstations are being setup in libraries around dublin for public internet access, its just a straight hub setup, no server involved.

what we need to do is restrict access to the control panel, windows explorer and basically anything that gives you control over the machine.

how can this be done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Policy Editor. Lock them *****es down I say!!!

smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea.... what he said.

Although I thought that policy can only be used when Using a server.

Actually no Im wrong I think.

I'll make a more formed reply when Im not bólloxed tired

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

Yeah i remember in Area52 internet cafe in my yunger days made a balls of me m8s NT server restricting what i thought were local machines ie on the "Local Area Network" smile.gif
    But restricted Control Panel and a heap of normal functions pending this the server had to be rebuilt ooops soz paul! smile.gif
    But thanks if learned alot! hehe
    Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Yeah Policy Editor was my first thought, but I wasnt sure weather it worked with NT.

We found it on the workstation install disc and it seems to be behaving itself; now to tell those Librarian's how to use it smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The policy editor, also assuming it doesn't break anything you can try removing the related CPL files. May not work though.

I don't know about NT, but W98 policies can be bypassed easily. I used to do it all the time in a local CyberCafe so I could install my own programs on thier machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well NT is a lot harder to haxr and stuff.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

If you create a new user on an NT box and LOCK the account down with policy editor its virtually impossible for the user to do anything his not allowed to unless he knows power user or administrator passwords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

Hecate,

Just got a proggy here in the office called
    skylam and its seems cool!
    Great ui, just select control panel or desktop or whatever and set it to disabled or enabled!! simple its got admin pass/d protection aswell for. the copy i have is for 98 & 2k but you can prob get it for nt. www.skylam.com

Advertisement