Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juat asking

Options
  • 10-12-2001 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Ok i know im going to get shot down again and receive some nasty replies. But can someone please tell me what is happening ? The "Things are happening that cannot be talked about" excuese has taken its toll. Ok maby it cannot be discussed here but geeeees. Even a private mail or whatever just to keep people up-to-date would do. If im asked to Sit Down Take a Deep Breath and take a 'Chill Pill' again.... im sorry but that just wont work on me n e more. And YES! this is for IOFFL. A HUGE! amount of people have shown loyalty to IOFFL and to keep them in the dark in my opinion is really annoying. Your excuese of saying there is nothing to report will not wash n e more. There is a lot happening behind closed doors that im sure Everyone in IOFFL would like to know and even help if they can.

Ok i can see it now... CALM DOWN MS... take a CHILL PILL....There is nothing of any importance to report and if there was we would tell you. BAH!! Enough! The way i see it is we have sat down with IOFFL done what they wanted and are still no further on than when we started. k we have done this we have gotten that ...but still no positave responce from Eircom. Why ?
    Becaouse we have chosen to sit at the same table as them and try fight them at their own game... is it working ? NO! Everyone should know by now that if Eircom give an Inch they take a Mile!
    Just for spite im going to re-post this post in Dec 2003 and every responce i get to it.... will things have changed ? NOT! if Eircom have anything to do with it! NOT as long as we sit here and wait!

MS

TOTALLY P1SSED OFF!!

Ok Shoot me!

But remember b4 u shoot ME.... how many people feel the same way i do about all this. How many NEW people have joined the boards that ye have shot down already.... I guess im just another casualty! >BANG< nice one :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

ms i have to agree with most if not all of what you say,but i
    find it hard to trust anyone in the telecommunications area.
    just last week i had an eircom rep` at my door singing the praises of his employers ,but when i asked about their internet
    policy i was fobbed off with rehearsed answers and also mislead as he told me some cock and bull story about esat`s billing
    policy. which i later checked and found not to be true, its very frustrating trying to use a great resourse like the internet is
    at the prices we have to pay out, eircom as a company should be listening to the demands of its customers but i as lots of others
    feel that eircom are deaf to our plight.
    hopefully someone other than the existing players will come into the market and put a scare into eircom and maybe then it will
    head its most important asset (it`s customer`s)if its not already to late.
    :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

I agree with some of what MS is saying.

A progress report now and again would be great, the cloak and dagger stuff is wearing thin. People are there to support IrelandOffline but they will get bored with the silence unless somethings done.

We know everyones busy as bees and having kids and running companies but I thought the new committee members were going to bridge the gap and keep the momentum going.

Fair enough if something IrelandOffline is doing can't be made public but some sort of report saying "The top secret project is 50% complete" or something would be great. If things are being sone in secret how about doing some public thing as well to keep peoples attention ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey

We know everyones busy as bees and having kids and running companies but I thought the new committee members were going to bridge the gap and keep the momentum going.

You forgot doing exams.....Completing One's Degree:rolleyes:

If ya spent more time studying and less time on that interweb thing on the computer you'd do better in your exams ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It's been said so many times before that it should be made IO's catchphrase:

If you're not happy with the way things are being done, suggest a different way of doing them. Post your ideas/strategies/suggestions and let everyone debate over them.

And if you don't have a better plan, stop bloomin' moaning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Arion

I suggest that we hijick the CEO of Eircom and hold a gun to his head until he 'suggests' lowering dramaticly the price of broadband in Ireland.

Then there will be no longer a need for Ireland OFFLine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I suggest that we do what the lads did in "Fight Club" in project "Mayhem", except this time it would be the Eircom buildings

Of course .. its just a suggestion :D

Ah .. but seriously, in relation to MS' original posting, it does seem that some momentum has been lost in the IOffline campaign, but then again ... the committee to date has done sterling work, and this is after all .. Eircom et al. who we are dealing with! Speed is not their middle name!

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    If ya spent more time studying and less time on that interweb thing on the computer you'd do better in your exams ......

This is a steller contribution Marcus. Thx on behalf of the Committee! We are running short on these:)
    From now on I wont take a lunch break from studying 8 hours a day and work right though the day.

I do find it quite paradoxical that me bothering to post on the forum seems to upset you after your call for more action around the place.
    YOU WANT A PROGRESS REPORT??
    WELL HERE YOU GO....
    I'm up to my Fúcking eyeballs as are others

Hope that tides you over:)

Oh lighten up 80p, that was a joke. :p I'm glad you found it paradoxical cos I didn't hide it too deep.

And thanks for the progress report its better than complete silence.

As for what PiE said, suggestions have been made but is it not the committee that decides on them ?

Also who on the committee has time apart from Dahamsta, whos putting a lot of energy into this ? Does the committee want to co-op more people on to help them ? Theres some energetic (not me ) and sensible posters (certainly not me ) who could do well on the committee and IrelandOffline might benefit in using them.

Also if a thread was started to direct questions to the committee, would they answer them ? Any other noise aside from questions and answers could be edited out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭smokin' an'chewin' man

Originally posted by MS
    Ok i know im going to get shot down again and receive some nasty replies.

and . .

But remember b4 u shoot ME.... how many people feel the same way i do about all this. How many NEW people have joined the boards that ye have shot down already.... I guess im just another casualty! >BANG< nice one :(

Unfortunately you risk getting the usual series of abusive replies. The hypersensetive and resentful committee members who are overwhelmed with their personal lives yet who still want to be on the committee, God knows why - - And the control freakos who resent anyone saying anything negative lest someone from the 'powers that be' think the cause has critics.

It certainly would be nice if there was enough respect for the 'members' to post a little progress report each week instead of repetitively saying that LOADS of stuff is happening - - but they cannot say what. It is wearing very thin and makes IrelandOffline look more and more like it is dying on its feet, and in silence.
    There is still no meetings, still feeble web content, still no letter guides etc - etc - etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ahem!...
    Originally posted by smokin' an'chewin' man

Unfortunately you risk getting the usual series of abusive replies. The hypersensetive and resentful committee members who are overwhelmed with their personal lives yet who still want to be on the committee, God knows why - - And the control freakos who resent anyone saying anything negative lest someone from the 'powers that be' think the cause has critics.

Gosh... helpful as ever smokin'an'chewin'man... :rolleyes:

Let me get this straight... I'm not a hypersensitive, resentful or abusive person or a 'control freako'. I find it offensive that you would (allegedly?) use these words to describe either myself or any of the other committe members.

What gives you the right to say these things? What have YOU done? Along with the rest of the committee, I've helped out wherever and whenever I could and have given a LOT of my time and effort to the organisation.

I intend to stay on the committee as long as I can and will continue to offer my help as much as possible. What are YOU are doing to help the cause, smokin'an'chewin'man?

It certainly would be nice if there was enough respect for the 'members' to post a little progress report each week instead of repetitively saying that LOADS of stuff is happening

Eh- ... we DON'T repetitively say that LOADS of stuff is happening. As we've said before, not ENOUGH happens for us to post a progress report every week. I'm sure our 1100+ members don't want to get emails every week saying "nothing happening" or "this might happen... maybe". When something is definitely going to happen, we announce it. If you think you can get things done faster or if you think you have some useful ideas to contribute, BY ALL MEANS DO SO- get in touch and be bloody helpful if you can... instead of basically bitching from the fence.

- - but they cannot say what. It is wearing very thin and makes IrelandOffline look more and more like it is dying on its feet, and in silence.
    There is still no meetings, still feeble web content, still no letter guides etc - etc - etc.

If you don't think there's enough going on or enough information available, feel free to make a (more SPECIFIC) suggestion or contribution yourself. What exactly is 'feeble' about the web content (which, by the way, includes this forum). What doesn't it tell you that you want to know?

Do you really think we actually have the basis to hold another public meeting at this stage? Have you seen any actual progress from any of the ISP's since the seminar? What new information is there to discuss?

C'mon folks - a bit more constructive please... Like customers of a bar many people here seem all too ready to forget the actual progress and jump in and bite heads off over non-existant issues. The fact that a regular 'newsletter' isn't sent out on a weekly (or so) basis is hardly a serious issue, particularly considering that there'd be little or nothing to report and such an email would be more of an annoyance than anything else.

Do remember - WE HAVE LIVES TOO... and IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME - a busy time for everyone. If we don't have a plan for a specific course of action and are not given a mandate by the members to carry it out then what exactly do you expect of us? This forum is here for a number of reasons - the main one, I believe, being to get feedback from the members, and to collect suggestions and ideas as well as offers of help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Ok im not going to 'Cut Copy Paste Highlight Quote Etc.' but a few good points were made from 'both' sides. But i do want to say this. Since the blackout a lot more people have been made aware of IOFFL, Boards.ie Etc. Some new people came in here and left with the feeling that they never wanted to come back. Im not going to point fingers ( i myself made a few bad posts here too :( ). The idea of the Boards i thought was to get Feedback from its members which some members have actually done. Ok it might not be all smelling of Roses but it is Feedback. Its people showing their frustration/anger or whatever. If we are not allowed to express this be it smelling of Roses or not then i for one will have to stop posting here ( HEY! Quit going YIPPI! YAHHHHOO! HOOOOORRRAY! :) ) Becaouse all i feel is anger and frustration ( even after 50 chill pills LOL ) at how Eircon once again coned every single one of us Yet Again! for another year.

MS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

The idea of the Boards i thought was to get Feedback from its members which some members have actually done.

Absolutely MS, and without a well structured organisation where by contributions can be taken on board and members and committee members can further develop the ideas in a collaborative fashion, continuous rehashing and a circular motion appears to be the order of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by MS
    Becaouse all i feel is anger and frustration ( even after 50 chill pills LOL ) at how Eircon once again coned every single one of us Yet Again! for another year.

How exactly were you conned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Medion

"This forum is here for a number of reasons - the main one, I believe, being to get feedback from the members, and to collect suggestions and ideas as well as offers of help." - Bard.

Please! I am new here and wanted to ask a question? Reading about two forum pages I see most topics containing feedback from the members are locked. why ?
    "You forgot doing exams.....Completing One's Degree" - 80project.

I sorry I dont have degree yet but I am studing hard for it and in the mean time I am working hard too so I just wanted to ask ? If I dont have a degree and make a suggestion or offer what help I can or give feedback. Will I get flamed and be called a stupid person cause I play guitar and know nothing much about the internet except point and "Click here".

My suggestion is this - We have an small band and it wasn't really getting anywhere so we had the idea of giving ourselves several different names so that we'd get several time the bookings even though it was the same members in the band. Maybe IOFFL can support other groups that have same members but by diffrent names, committee! So instaed of just IOFFL campagining we could have IOFFL, X, Y and Z campaining for flat-rate too.

Ok! That is my suggestion. I'd like to know what you think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

This totalitarian fist is growing old quickly but its relative to the spam on #boards.ie, so what can you do..... leave?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I don't know, I must getting tolerant in my old age but ms never bothered me.

Ps are you gladiator, you seemed to have joined just as he left last time, makes me wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK, before this becomes the latest in the stream of identical rants to be locked, I should throw in my 2 cent.

Since the blackout, some ppl have been posting saying, 'ffs that didn't work, wtf were you thinking?', and moaning about their displeasure with the comittee's performance. Stop complaining. You think you can do better? Then go and form your own pressure group. You have my blessings, we need all the help we can get.
    Then when you find out just how much work it takes, and how hard it is to juggle campaigning with business/kids/college, and decide to throw in the towel, then you can come back and post some ideas or news which are helpful, and maybe you'll appreciate the effort put in by Adam, Niall, Elana, 80p(forgot your name m8 :p), fergus et al. whew... I've stopped reading stuff that bitches and moans on this forum. It's boring and pointless.

MS said, 'a few good points from 'both' sides'. WTF??? Sides? This is a small 'community' of ppl interested in the same thing, basically, affordable, quality internet access. I don't know if this is part of MS's self-confessed 'madness', but there certainly shouldn't be anyone thinking there are divisions in this group. I know I don't see any. But of course, he was moaning about newbies being 'scared off' by certain posts. I know if I was going join any group, I'd stay well clear if I thought there was conflicts within the group. I mean, how could a group achieve anything if they can't agree on anything? So ppl complaining about new ppl being 'scared' off, you only have yourself to blame, imho.

OK, I've forgotten lots of what I was gonna say, but I think I've got my point across. Medion - novel idea! :) Never heard of that before. I don't know if it could be applied in IOFFL's case, but that's certainly what I would think is the kind of thing the lads want to hear. Any ideas, within reason, will be considered by the committee. In my experience, they will give you logical reasons as to why it may not work, or they will praise you for good suggestions, or a median(:p) of the 2. Off-the-wall suggestions(pie-throwing, anthrax letter bombing, etc), are the ones that either get flamed or laughed at. Guitar-playing, point-and-click newbies are precisely(afaik) the type of ppl IOFFL would like to educate on the entire internet situation. The situation is allowed to continue in this country, because, imho most of the ppl paying the money are kept in the dark. They pay the money because they don't know of any other way. Kind of like muslim/islam(not sure?) women being kept out of sight and not rebelling - they don't know any better.

The only thing that is asked of new visitors to the forum is that they educate themselves(however slightly) on the situation. This can be easily done - most of the info needed is contained in past threads. The reason ppl get flamed for asking the same old questions is because of the amount of new visitors to this forum, in comparison to other forums. Almost everyone joins/looks at IOFFL with very little knowledge/info on what is going on. If we had all asked the same questions on joining, this forum would be useless. All you need is to be willing to learn, simple as that. It's a really friendly place honest :)

newReply.endHugeRant(seamus);

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

dont be sorry, id be more worried if people didnt rant and rave here, at least it shows people are still passionate about the cause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    I don't know, I must getting tolerant in my old age but ms never bothered me.
    The only thing that bothers me about MS's posts is that he seems to blame the IOFFL committee for the current lack of movement in the Internet access situation. He appears to be taking out his frustration with his Internet connection on IOFFL because it is an easy target. IOFFL is attempting to pressurise the powers that be into improving the situation but it is not responsible for the situation itself.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by seamus

The only thing that is asked of new visitors to the forum is that they educate themselves(however slightly) on the situation. This can be easily done - most of the info needed is contained in past threads.

newReply.endHugeRant(seamus);

:)

Thats it in a nutshell Seamus. Also If ppl gave what they are posting a millisecond of contemplation, it would make everyones life a lot easier:) I think ppl forget there is a sticky for new visitors to read and a very informative wesbsite !

I would also like to discount the rubbish being posted about the denial of free speech. Nobody is denying or belittling the uninumerated right of free speech, but simple objecting to the continious drivel, disruptivness and misinformation. PLAIN & SIMPLE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Medion

What misinformation 80project ? Incase I get misinformed by mistake! Nice Site BTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

This thread was a waste of space before I locked it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement