Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Cutbacks & Job Losses

Options
  • 10-12-2001 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

From "onbusiness"...
    http://www.onbusiness.ie/2001/1210/ntl.html

Heres a snipet...
    I notice no mention of broadband/cable internet as a "key objective" in their Irish Plans:(
    A spokeswoman for NTL in Ireland said the company could rule nothing out in relation to job cuts here.

The company is revising its budget and will make a more detailed announcement over the next two weeks. 500 people are employed by NTL in Ireland.

A statement from the company today said that NTL's key objective in Ireland is to widen the distribution of its new digital television service while improving the overall standard of its customer care.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

OT: what does "NTL" stand for (as in what do the letters mean)? No-one I've asked seems to know

(and don't let the thread degenerate by posting facetious comments on the abbreviation)

Ta

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

OT: what does "NTL" stand for (as in what do the letters mean)? No-one I've asked seems to know

I have absolutely no idea, but on the subject of acronyms, I've always wondered what people think AOL stands for. Don't people in Britain find it a bit icky to be supporting a service called "America On Line"? Maybe it's just me.
    adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats why AOL is branded as a set of letters after all they travel.

As for NTL maybe that could be the subject of a competition!

Any takers?

BTW, what chance of BskyB ending up owning NTL the franchise here?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Something I didn't know until today was that France Telecom are the majority shareholder in NTL!!...
    Who seem (Primae Facia) to have a good record in the provision of broadband in France- admittely w/ state asssitance.

As for the "NTL" tla, its an American company that has gone through various mergers so I'd reckon the NTL is an amalgamation of these merged Co.s :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 megavolt

It stands for National Transcommunication Limited as far as I know.

:D

Advertisement