Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinpocetine

• 10-12-2001 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

VINPOCETINE ADDS MORE VITALITY TO THE YEARS.
    POWERFUL MEMORY ENHANCER.

The brain is the control center of all physical and intellectual activity in the body. Ten billion different cells, with millions upon millions of neurons, forming connections, several hundred times more numerous than the world's population.

At the age of thirty, cell units die and are never replaced again, thus beginning an inexorable process that becomes more and more acute in the elderly.

Today, however, the joint forces of research, biotechnology and fine chemistry allow us to fight against such relentless deterioration. Now, we know not only that cell death can be prevented, but also, that we can develop and increase our intelligence.

And here is where VINPOCETINE comes in.

VINPOCETINE is an oxygenator and activator of the cerebral metabolism. As a result, it acts as a powerful memory enhancer.

The substance's active principle, VINPOCETINE, acts both on the circulatory system and on the brain's metabolism. How?
    1) By increasing the levels of glucose consumption by the brain cells. Glucose is the substance from which brain cells get their energy.
    2) By optimizing the Krebs cycle, and therefore achieving maximum transformation of glucose into energy.

3) By increasing the levels of oxygenation of the brain cells, and therefore avoiding hypoxias, which usually result in neuronal death.

4) By increasing the elasticity of the erythrocytes. This eases the microcirculation through the brain capillaries and opens up the supply of oxygen and glucose.

5) By helping in cerebral vasodilatation, and consequently improving cerebral blood flow.

6) By inhibiting platelet aggregation. This particular function prevents strokes as it stops thromboses or blood clots from forming. In addition the increased elasticity of the erythrocytes helps to reduce the impact that any such clotting could have.

What do you think of this? I know it is aimed towards the elderly but do you think it holds true?

I know for one if this is true and it did enhance the use of your brain in any way I would be the first to want some - Overdose on the stuff and head for the nearest library.

Another medical dream or reality? Anybody know anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I take it that either people don't have information on this, an opinion, or care.....

Though if we looked at it in a pure sence if it helped total recall - children would not fail exams and once they learn something it would not need to be revised meaning a LOT more could be taught in school. I also think it could further knowledge as you can do a lot more when you have more information at hand.

Come on people reply because this is important I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Although Ill defer to bob on the specifics there are so many holes in that theory it would sink in no time

1.) Glucose consumption is kept constant in certain places in the body, the kidneys and brain for example, which is why insulin has no effect on neural tissue. I think the word ''overheating'' to mind

2.) Optimizing the krebs cycle?????????? How exactly is it optimised? Seeing as it is a cycle im not sure how that is even possible, unless it increases the amount of substrates (Acetyl CoA) entering the cycle which is regulated by a big **** off list of enzymes and the likes before it reaches that far.

3.) Hmmmmmmmmm, its as if the body couldnt auto-oxygenate the brain for itself

4. and 5.) See above, also its a common theory that oxygen (probably more than a theory at this stage) that ultimately its the oxygen that'll kill ya.

6.) Even if this one was true, strokes can be caused by foreign bodies, dont suppose Vinpocetine can help that.

Looks like youve fallen for some magic beans :)
    Now if you'll excuse me Ive a box of Stacker 10 waiting for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Well I heard of this new drug being developed or on the market which improves recall - didn't have exact details of it so went looking for refernces and this was one I found.

I'm sorry - I haven't studied biochemistry or know much about chemical structure in the body, I simply asked.

My main question (I appologise as it wasn't clear as I wasn't thinking straight as I wrote it) was more "Is what I heard true? Is there a new drug on the market or being developed to help recall/memory?"

I'm looking for details on this as i'm very interested in it if there is. Maybe I was lied to about this. Maybe it is a case of magic beens.....but hey I gotta ask.

Advertisement