Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy

Options
  • 10-12-2001 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Here is a pretty good article on a proposed power generating station for Oz.

The neat thing is that other than its manufacturing cost, it is entirely, 100% non-polluting, and is far less environmentally intrusive than a large-scale hydro station would be.

So where's the catch?

Simple - people are already complaining about the 1km height proposed. (no, its not a typo).

While I think its a fascinating project, and I hope it succeeds, it is bound to be hugely controversial. People will complain about the pollution of the "visual environment", or whatever.

I see it as a simple choice.

We need alternatives to fossil fuels.

Nuclear fission is considered to have too large a potential for massive pollution to be a good option for many nations.

Nuclear fusion is some way away as yet.

Humanity is going to have to wake up. People cry "save the planet", and yet when a solution is offered we get "its not pretty enough". Well tough. Its clean, its cheap, and its a hell of a lot better than any other suggestion out there.

Call it the lesser of many evils, but I like this project. I hope it succeeds.

Then again, I wish the Irish and Scots would get off their arses and "exploit" some of that lovely wave- and wind- power sitting all around us. There has to be a "clean" way of doing this too...

jc

Advertisement