Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win98 acting strange

• 10-12-2001 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I have fairly strange things happening in 98 and want to know whether its the os or some kind of virus.

All my .mp3, .doc, .jpg, .html files have lost their icons. When double clicked they turn into .exe files with a dos filename.
    eg. U2 - even better than the real thing.mp3 becomes
    U2 - eve~1.mp3.exe

When this in turn is clicked it tries to connect to the internet !

This is very worrying. Has anyone else had this problem or know what it is ?

thanks

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

This is almost certainly a Virus.

Prolin methinks, or a variant.

Search for it on Google.

To stop this kind of thing from happening:

1. Get a virus guard, and update frequently.

2. Stop clicking on every sodding attachment you recieve. If in doubt, DELETE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by Jaden
    2. Stop clicking on every sodding attachment you recieve. If in doubt, DELETE.

Especially ones which say they are pictures but are actually execs, hate when I receive them, just the other day I had a big rant at a friend for sending one. Dickhead. My friend not you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Especially ones which say they are pictures but are actually execs, hate when I receive them, just the other day I had a big rant at a friend for sending one. Dickhead. My friend not you.

Well, to be fair, your friend probably didn't send it on purpose, the worm probably did. And s/he (can girls be dickheads?) mightn't be all that stupid, their computer might just be set up badly. What annoys me is that people don't seem to learn from their mistakes.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Amen Brother.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Goink

OK, got it. It was a worm called BleBla.

Jaden, thanks for this ......
    "Get a virus guard, and update frequently"
    Once I updated my virus scanner it picked up the virus.
    Just the pointer I needed.

I'm not sure how I got this though, cos I didn't get any strange
    emails. I would be fairly well enough clued in as to not open any
    strange attachments. I think I got it through a downloaded file
    on Morpeus.

However I came across this which says that even previewing the
    message spreads the virus, never mind opening attachments.
    Sneaky.

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=98910&

"It can arrive by email in HTML format ..............The email will appear to contain no contents or identifiable attachments however is encoded to contain two files, xromeo.exe and xjuliet.chm.

The HTML code instructs Windows to save the attachments to the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder and execute them from that location."

Anyways, thanks for the help.:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement