Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to upgrade my processor =NT=

• 09-07-2000 4:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

=NT=

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ah go on, give us some text smile.gif
    Like what you want to go for, and where you want to buy it, wether you want it for overclocking etc...

Typing is fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

dixons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Best place to upgrade your processor? On the motherboard of your computer, I'd say. Usually underneath that cooling heat-sink thing is a good bet... near the back.

Wanna give us some more info? Ask vague unhelpful question, get an etc. etc. etc.

Bard

|home page|scary éire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Trojan in roscommon are good, and they seem to be cheap 079-62552

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

ok a bit more clear,
    cos i dont have a bulls notion of what i should do i'll lay down the facts, a "factdown" if u will

I have a Compaq AMD-K6 233Mhz MMX
    Want a faster processor, whether it be a chip or new motherboard, pref. the cheaper of the two, which will bump it up a decent speed, 450 - 600 mhz, pref. PIII as well, not to sure aboot athlons, and can play all the daecent new games like Q3A and UT without freezing every 5 seconds.

I know i need to up the RAM to at least 64, i have 48 atm.

I have a Voodoo 3 PCI (which is sh1te imho)

And a new monitor too, bigger than 14" frown.gif

And a CD-RW if i can get one dirt cheep smile.gif

And preferably in Dublin if possible, altho i heard of a place in drogheda that does it, to far tho.

And what are the pitfalls of overclocking?

[This message has been edited by Q_Ball (edited 10-07-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well if you're upgrading that kinda' machine to an 600MHz PIII, bigger monitor (17"?), more ram etc...
    You'll need a new mobo, cpu, new 64mb ram, new 3D card...
    Which means you'd nearly have enough spare parts to build another system smile.gif

So if I were in this situation, I'd just forget upgrading your old box, and just build a new one from scratch.
    It would cost about the same, and you'd have an extra PC you could network with the new one, for games or whatever.

But if you don't want to do any of this yourself, try PC-Peripherals in Stillorgan, they have some reasonalbe prices and service charges.
    Check out there website for a rough price list, although you'll probably find it won't have been updated in many months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

thx dood

Advertisement