Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database?

Options
  • 11-12-2001 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hey, I just need a simple database with about 5-6 fields. Useable online and updatable through the site itself. Really basic is preferential. Any language would do.

Please help :)

-Preacher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Would a delimited text-file do the trick? Otherwise MySQL is a popular database that most hosts use online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭[Preacher]

Basically what i need is:
    8 lines of information , Address, date&time etc.
    Easy to add to it online
    BASIC AS HELL :D

Would MySql be good for that (i cant programme or anything, at all[!])

Thanks

-Preacher

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I don't know if this is possible without any programming. If you gave us some info about your problem we'd have a better idea of how to help. Like ...

1. Can you run cgi scripts on your server?
    2. Do you just want one big page with all the info on it, or do you want to do some fancy searches of the data?
    3. Is anyone allowed to update the database or is it restricted.
    4. Are you going to need to be able to delete entries from the database?

Heres fresh info i just received:

A Long text file ("delimited"?) will satisfy. Now all i need is some form of a java script or something that will give the user a search box. And it can be updated by FTP but is there a better alternative?

Thanks for the help

-Preacher

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

You can't use JavaScript to parse a text file, you'll need something server-side, a la PHP. Tell us exactly what you want to use the database for.

• Advertisement

Ok then,

I want for the user "A" to be able to update this text file then upload their changes / overwrite the old one.

I then want user "B" to be able to go to www.whatever.com and fill-in one of eight boxes (or more) when they hit search this will the find the data in the text file and present this in some way.

Think "Basic" :)

Thanks again

-Preacher

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you have access to Perl, you should try DBman. It's relatively easy to set up, and you don't really need to understand Perl to work with it (in fact it's a good way to learn). I've built whole websites using it (I was young, I needed the money).

adam

Advertisement