Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serial port speed.

Options
  • 11-12-2001 9:48pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if any1 has had experience with using an internal highspeed serialport card.

Ive heard that serial ports on modern comp's can only reach speeds of 112,500 bps and with these high speed cards you can reach speeds of 490,000 bps if you modem or TA allows.

ANy1 know anything bout this.. and is there any use in buying one to increase the power of an isdn modem ??

Chief.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

ISDN line, single one runs at 64KB a second. ( always get the capital KB wrong, dunno if it's right there, but it means Bit)

anyway, dual lines runs at 128KB. Now as to whether or not there is a limitation of 115000 on the com port, i'm not sure. I've seen options in windows to hike it to above 200000..

So in answer... no there ain't much point in getting one of these cards. You wouldn't notice any improvement using a single line, as regards two, you possibly could.. ( Course you are probably best off with an internal ISSDN TA really.. )

Gav

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Yeah i got the whole port speed yokey from here.

http://www.pcmech.com/show/modems/51/

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

That's kinda pointless in fairness.
    The higher port rate will only let more data through to the modem/ISDN TA, not down the line.
    It *could* be compressed by the modem, but that infact slows it down (for games at least).
    Most new PCS can go up to 9800240 or something (I know mine can and its about 1-1.5 years old).
    The Device needs a UART compatiable with those rates too.
    Adjusting your MTU will aid you more in browsing.
    Less fragentation of packets being sent.

Advertisement