Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamecube Help

Options
  • 11-12-2001 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

I NEED HELP,im geting a gamecube from USA but when the european games come out i want to be bale to play them on it 2,so is there anywhere i kan get it chipped or somthing and how much will it cost?wheres the best place to order it from?will it work with european TVs?ect and any other info you kan give me would be gr8ly appriciated!if you kan answer ANY of the above questions please do as i am really stuck and kant find the answers anywhere!

p.s-any1 know how many dolars the gamecube is???????and how much that is in punts?tnx a million,Benny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well if its a US one it'll most likely have NTSC output and not work on PAL TV's which is what we have here. Maybe it does both, I don't know much about it. If you have a really good TV it'll be able to display both PAL and NTSC but that's not likely.

You'll probably have to get some kind of adaptor for the power supply too, since the US uses 110v and we use 220v.

Don't know anything about chipping it or any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Did you order it or some1 else ?? because you really should find these things out before you go and blow that much money.Dunno how much is it is RoI or USA,but its £150 sterling when it cmes out here,so id guess about $200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

It's $199. As for getting it chipped i'm not too sure, try the gamecube boards at ign.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭7Day Theory

GC is not really worth importing as it will cost you more and there is no american to european chip (trick), only a Japenese-->American soldering trick.

Whats really worth importing is an Xbox, you might save up to £100.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Just ordered my GameCube today actually :)

At the moment, there is no European chip, but I'd expect that to change sometime after European GameCubes hit the streets.

There is a modification to allow US GCs to play JPN games and vice versa and most import sites do this as standard. If they don't, its fairly easy to do yourself, just solder a wire across a bridge.

lik-sang Gamecubes ship modded and with a PAL signal converter, so you'll have all you need to watch it on your PAL telly. Lik-sang also have the cheapest hardware I can find. I also know people who've ordered stuff from them before and they find no problems with the service.
    You could also try nscx.com

Cheapest I've found games is dvdboxoffice.com. Its based in Canada so you're getting a fairly nice exchange rate (Super Monkey Ball works out at IEP£35). There's free delivery too.

There's a tonne of decent games out for it at the moment, but apparantly the best are Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball and Pikmin.

Whats really worth importing is an Xbox, you might save up to £100.

<flame>

Well err... no.

Save money? Its £500 sterling, my lad [edit]sorry, its actually £600 sterling[/edit] - that's if you find an importer that's even selling them. What with Microsoft's policy that importing is immoral, wrong and will damn you for all eternity and all that. Oh, and seeing as the X-Box will be launcing over here for €499, I don't see how you come out with a saving of £100 :)

Anyway, its so big and heavy you could ship a small family of illegal immigrants for less!

</flame>

:)

• Advertisement

I went ot the US, stood in a line, got my Xbox, got on a plane and flew home..successful import.
    lots of money saved.
    [edit]and please dont refer to me as "lad"[/edit]

Christ, I knew transatlantic airfares were low, but I didn't know they were that low!

Flying to the US to pick up a console doesn't really help anyone here, does it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I went ot the US, stood in a line, got my Xbox, got on a plane and flew home..successful import.

I take it you were on some form of day release program? Anyone that nuts clearly needs some form of 24 hour care, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ex_hale

Bentonio, thers a guide on ign.com that gives step by step instructions on how to convert a US gamecube to use european games etc. its there somewhere i got it in my mail not so long ago

How can there be a guide for converting to European console config, when they dont even exist yet..they have not started production for europe yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

yea well thanks all for your posts allthough none really helped,no i havnt ordered my cube yet but i really dont wanna wait for the euro launcsh,nintendo h8 europe!ohhhhh well if any of you have any ideas mail em or post a reply thanks again all!

I don't think you can be helped.

Advertisement