Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASDL versus XSDL

Options
  • 12-12-2001 4:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

My landline is crap!

So said the chap at Eircom.

I’m considering moving nearer the exchange or Korea.

ASDL only works if you are located within 2.5 Kilometres of the exchange or you are extremely lucky.

XSDL is on the way…. It’s like ASDL but slower (128K and 64K).

I want a 1 Meg Line not 128 fuc*ing K but I can’t have it, so tough, or is it?

Post suggestions these should include but are not limited to:
    1: Eircom contact name
    2: A loan of £250,000
    3: 3 K of high quality telephone cable and two ladders
    4: Contact name in Korea
    5: Spam related to post only :p

:(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

*DSL. Digital Subscriber Line.
    You could always try "IDSN" in the meantime :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Not it isnt, XDSL is a general name given to alll DSL services, from ADSL to VDSL, i think your getting it mixed up with radsl which has a longer distance but lower bandwidth, it can still get around 500k

BTW its centuries away in ireland so forget about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Off to the net/comms board we go......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭RiCo

Not it isnt, XDSL

This is the name the guy from Eircom gave me. I don't know one from the other, but either way it will allow 250k max.... according to him?

I still want 1 Meg... :(

• Advertisement

ba haaaa eircom guy, eircom wouldnt know there arse from their elbow, trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by RiCo

we all want what we cant have. might I suggest you start buying scratch cards and when you win at least £2000 use the money wisely and move to sweden. Your childrens childrens childrens children will still be waiting all their lives to see anything more than ADSL in Ireland, and only that if they live in a specific area of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by RiCo
    Not it isnt, XDSL

This is the name the guy from Eircom gave me. I don't know one from the other, but either way it will allow 250k max.... according to him?

load off bollox, xDSL is a term used to refer to all types of DSL connections. Looks like Eircom has done their usual bit of reverse education on their staff....
    I'm currently on a VDSL line managed by Eircom here in Ennis, and let me tell you if the way Eircom "manages" the line it is only marginally faster than single channel ISDN at the best of times.
    i have no faith in broadband access being provided by the majot telco's in this country EVER!
    Me thinks he's going to invest heavily in wireless access...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

me thinks me's going to invest heavily in rosary beads. That way when everyone in ireland realises that Eircom is run by single celled organisms in suits and turns to prayer in an effort to get broadband I'll clean up with my side business manufacturing low quality plastic rosary beads.. Anyone interested in investing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by rymus
    me thinks me's going to invest heavily in rosary beads. That way when everyone in ireland realises that Eircom is run by single celled organisms in suits and turns to prayer in an effort to get broadband I'll clean up with my side business manufacturing low quality plastic rosary beads.. Anyone interested in investing?

I'll give ye a fiver...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

hehe rymus :D

I couldnt be arsed to start a new post for this so here goes.
    I know absolutely **** all about connections, except that 56k is pissing me off. What I'd like to know is...
    - How much does it cost to have ISDN installed? (inc all h/w)
    - How much does it cost to keep it?
    - Do you have to pay some kind of flat rate, or can u pay just for when u want to use it?
    Basically I need to know all the basics of getting ISDN, the most important part being how big a hole is it going to put in my wallet?

plz help,
    another senseless victim of ****ty ISP and fone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

£100 quid odd installation.
    +Terminal Adaptor (special modem) cost.

£15 x2 per month for phone lines (2. cant get less) + isp dialup costs. (same costs as on 56k).

When you order you'll be waiting about 2 months (well i was) before its installed. Thing to note however, if ya ever plan to get ADSL, atm Eircom charge an extra 100 quid to downgrade ya back to 56k before they can put ta on ADSL.

Im sure some one else will correct me where i've gone wrong :) they always do :p

BK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

When you order you'll be waiting about 2 months (well i was) before its installed.

It can take that long - even longer in fact - but there's no real set time. There's a lot of factors involved, like where you live, what the current backlog is, etc. Also, Eircom are always more responsive to business customers. I had it installed last year for a business account, when others were complaining of lead times of a month or more (some were told six weeks), and I had it installed in five days. Three working days in fact - I ordered it on Thursday and it was installed on Monday morning. But I've always been nice to my linemen. That's a hint. :)

Thing to note however, if ya ever plan to get ADSL, atm Eircom charge an extra 100 quid to downgrade ya back to 56k before they can put ta on ADSL.

Before they'll test the line to see if it is capable of ADSL you mean. There's a chance that they'll downgrade the line, bung the ton on your bill, and say "tough tata's". Sorry. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Originally posted by dahamsta

But I've always been nice to my linemen. That's a hint. :)

I can just see it now:

DahAmbassador, with this Ferrero
    Rocher you spoil us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Thing to note however, if ya ever plan to get ADSL, atm Eircom charge an extra 100 quid to downgrade ya back to 56k before they can put ta on ADSL.

yah thats what i meant hehe
    was a bit tired when typing stuff here last night :)

Advertisement