Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help PLS with this connection PLS :( ...

Options
  • 12-12-2001 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hello every body...

Ok pls i need help on this connection...

Ok ill give you a run down on what the set up is..

Line -> with longish line cord to Modem.. Modem -> (56k Faxmodem External US Robotics) to PC via Serial Port.

Connection speed, now I dont know if this I relevant to the connection but... I have 2 other phones around the house 1 up stairs.. and one downstairs.. now when I plug out the phone from the socket up stairs I can get a connection of 50k - 52k when I plug the phone back in again I get about 45k to 48k with my connection.

Now the main problem isnt downloading or browsing when im at 52k they are very nice... the problem is.. Lag on servers.. using most isps.. it is VERY jumpy.. it sticks and flows again and jumps.. and when i ping servers in dos tho it seems okish ..

Ping server cs.irelandcs.com:27015 at 52k on eLive.

No packet loss in there, or iregular pings like

But when im on the server ping goes like...

to
    180 again.

Then when im rushing or there is loads of people around on the screen when im firing it goes 180 190 400 700 900 1200 and drops then again when im dead..

My Pc I would think is handy enuf... P3 500 128RAM TNT2 32 RAM

So whats the story? I have tried most isps and they all give same results really when im pinging them in DOS they seem fine but in game they are very jumpy and sticky.. not stable at all.

You do not know how much it would help to get this sorted out so thx very much if you have any thing that you might have to help..

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Thx rentz, but it aint worken that page :) ...

I NEED HELP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

your cpu is a bottleneck in your connection, for example, when so many players start firing etc, your cpu is trying to make all these calculations while your modem is trying to keep the connection established and while the connection should be able to handle it, the cpu can't keep up with everything that's going on while at the same time looking after the modem port thus causing these ridiculous spikes. I'm guessing that if you had 1000mhz or more of cpu power you would be getting a lot less lag, but I'm uncertain, have you rung eircom and asked them to check for line noise? That would be another killer, seeing as the modem is an analog signal and there is a lot of error's in packets being sent, if there is any line noise whatsoever, i.e slight crackling, this messes up your signal giving you all this choke and loss, gl with it, I'd try investing in a new cpu and failing that get isdn m8 :D

I'm sure you've tried all sorts of settings in your config as well.

rate 4555
    cl_rate 4555
    cl_latency -75
    cl_cmdrate 30
    cl_updaterate 20...........................try lowering your cmdrate and see if that helps, or try upping your cl_updaterate a pinch.

other than that, disable ip header compression/error checking/make sure your com ports have the same settings as your modem, specifically the com port that your modem is on :)

try removing client for microsoft networks and leaving only tcp/ip and dial up adapter, try enabling medium sized packets on the dial up adapter and also turn off ipx compression there also. disable point to point ip unless you accept phone calls to your com via vpn or some such, well gl with it. If you are in fact connecting at that speed you should have no problem maintaining a 120-170 ping.

Cheers tac m8..
    Ill give all that ago and get back to u ;)

On a side note

aint it a bit ridiculous that u need a 1Ghz Processer for CS ?

Also now that i think of it could it have somthing to do with my graphics if they slow down can they **** up connections...

Thx again,

-adren-

hehe just a little add on here.. im just after checking my com speed was at 9600 hehe.. still havnt checked if it makes adifference but lol.. my modem com speed is at 115200.. hehe.. i uped the com speed to that now any ways... hehe ;)

c yas :)

• Advertisement

Hey tac m8 none of that helped in Ireland cs when its relitvily full.. but my conn seems fine when there aint that many peeps in a server? :( could it just be my machine.. ill proly ipe the HD and restore Fac defaults i feal it needs a bitof a clean up.. ill c any how.. Cheers any other ideas :/ ?

Thx.

-adren-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Your CPU is grand for playing CS, the problem is not there.
    The problem is that you have an analog line.

When there is a log happening on screen the server has to send a lot of updates to your PC
    which at times will kinda flood your phone line/modem packets get droped everything goes jerky and you sometimes freeze.

There aint really a whole lot you can do except avoid servers with _loads_ of people, or get a job and get ISDN installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I get the exact same thing to ireland cs Adren.
    Me ping jumps way up while me fps jumps way down (under 20)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

try setting your com and modem speeds to 57600...try using software compression instead of hardware compression and enable client for microsoft networks.

have a look ar the eircom page and enter the ip addresses for the dns servers and default gateway in tcp/ip

Have you got any init strings to disable fax or anything else that might be beneficial in any way.........

don't give up on it, obviously there is nothing you can do about the lag freezes you get from time to time, i.e when you jump out in front of 3 t's perfectly aligned with a colt/ak at mid/close range ;) but I think if you get the right combo of config and settings you should still be able to get the 110-160 ping you want from the modem :)

I've seen peeps get v.nice ping on modem, I think vaccy had 90 at one point! The bottom line is that even if you connect and have the same ping as someone with isdn, they will still have more chances of their bullets registering properly due to the digital signal and additional bandwidth and lack or errors in the packets being sent.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭linkin

Use ping again, but this time use "-t" after or before the ip address in the expression.

e.g. ping -t 192.168.0.1

This will cause ping to be continuous.
    Watch the results and see if any repleys are missing. Use this with, and without, the other phone plugged in and compare. You can also us the "-l" to enlarge the "size" of the packet. Start with default and move up.

I thought this might show you if the line is dirty. If the packets are dropped at default size, then there's something up with the line. However, I think it might have something to do with the power consumption across the phone line; remember that the phone is not powered by the mains.

My guess is try a different phone?
    Might be worth rulling it out. Maybe, I don't know.

Liam.kelly@dublin.com

All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you will always get a lot of lag on a server if you are playing on a server with a lot of people.
    yes it does have to do with your processing power and it does have to do with whats happening on screen and it really does depend on who is near you and what type of connection they have.
    i used to lag out madly in q2 when i was near anyone with isdn or better, basically theres bugger all you can do except upgrade your connection.
    or connect to empty servers.
    i spent years struggling on a 33k modem and there wasw absolutely no difference when i upgraded to a 56k.
    im on adsl now, but then again i dont really play much anymore :)
    but i still lag out in Age of kings multiplayer, so nothing is perfect :(

Advertisement