Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adsl

Options
  • 12-12-2001 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Got it today, i have to say its pretty damn spanky,
    the modem is just the best. its a funky looking black thing, about 7" accross 6" wide and 2"deap absolutly no problem installing it. no need for any drivers as its the ethernet version.

The usb(a friend has it) is a piece of filth. i spent hours the other day installing it, they dont seem to have propper drivers for win2k pro, how to use windwos default. if any body has real working ones could they send them to me.

im getting around 50k constant on downloads and 14k up

Warning, ethernet software you get for eircom doesnt work at all on win Xp so i advise contacting Dustaz and he will st up up with a thrid party pppoe program.

BTW Dustaz i did have to sign a contract

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

I meant to post about mine;

I got the ethernet installed last Thursday, overall the whole process took about 45 minutes, with a tiny bit of a delay when as we went to test we (the engineers and myself) hadn't plugged the modem in *LOL*

I have to say the whole experience is absolutely lovely, we've got a 256K leased line in the office and it murders that experience. The sheer joy of not having to worry about crappy connections and not being able to run radio streams and browse at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Any chance of uploading a copy of that contract some where Boston.

I wouldn't mind giving it a cursory glance before I'm due to get it next week.

thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

sorry, i havent got a working scanner, its the bacis stuff.
    dont worry about it, i read it pretty much in full. just some stuff about software copyright, the usualy speal (as the clare people say)

BTW, doesnt seem as if it will be capped, i asked the guy and he said it will probably be priced around 60 pounds. this would fit in well with the fact the trial isnt capped.

apparently they havent got the first clue on how to monitor the bandwidth without huge investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    Warning, ethernet software you get for eircom doesnt work at all on win Xp so i advise contacting Dustaz and he will st up up with a thrid party pppoe program.

BTW Dustaz i did have to sign a contract

There are also problems installling the eircom software on a P4 or AMD machine. The Director movie which loads when you insert the CD has difficulties with these processors during the system check. But you can still install it but navigating to the enternet directory on the CD and running setup.exe.

Gotta say its pretty damn sweet, I can see it being very difficult to hand this back when the two month trials are up (unless the price drops) but then again isn't that what Eircon want, you fall in love with it and then you'll pay the expensive asking price??

BTW, I wasn't here for the installation but my old man didn't mention anything about signing a contract (I'll ask him later if he did). Boston, what did the contract say that you had to sign?

Finally, anyone know how to setup the dialling software so that when windows starts up it will automatically dial up in the background without you having to press connect.

Cheers,
    V

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

BAXTARDS!

No offense like.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

No worries Boston:)

No doubt I'll give it serious consideration before I put pen to paper when the time comes...Please God!

Originally posted by viking

There are also problems installling the eircom software on a P4 or AMD machine. The Director movie which loads when you insert the CD has difficulties with these processors during the system check. But you can still install it but navigating to the enternet directory on the CD and running setup.exe.

Gotta say its pretty damn sweet, I can see it being very difficult to hand this back when the two month trials are up (unless the price drops) but then again isn't that what Eircon want, you fall in love with it and then you'll pay the expensive asking price??

BTW, I wasn't here for the installation but my old man didn't mention anything about signing a contract (I'll ask him later if he did). Boston, what did the contract say that you had to sign?

Finally, anyone know how to setup the dialling software so that when windows starts up it will automatically dial up in the background without you having to press connect.

Cheers,
    V

actually i had problems with my amd, as did my friend.it will still install, detect the Cpu and all, but then it says error and i skip it, it allso wont detect IE 6.0. The pppoe software will run but it wont fully install, the ethernet 300 program gives me an error every time in win Xp. the contract was just agreaing to the T&C which they leave with you, they just take away the page you sign saying you understand them.

dahamsta none take.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Is having an AMD chip a problem for the USB modem too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I congradulate you lot for getting it, but I STILL HATE ALL OF YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW

I've after had an engineer starting to install my new phone line today, hopefully that will pass the test when its fully installed ...

BTW, any of you use it for playing online games ?? (on www.barrysworld.com servers) ?? What kind of ping did you get ??

Half Life Server:

Pinging bwserver45.barrysworld.com [213.221.174.165] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 213.221.174.165: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=116
    Reply from 213.221.174.165: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=116
    Reply from 213.221.174.165: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=116

Ping statistics for 213.221.174.165:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 60ms, Average = 55ms

• Advertisement

Originally posted by PiE
    Is having an AMD chip a problem for the USB modem too?
    yes, but its not a real problem, it will still install the software, you just get an error you can click back at and continue

Damn i only got 60mms, is that good, bad or indifferent.?

F:\>ping bwserver45.barrysworld.com

Reply from 213.221.174.165: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=116

Minimum = 60ms, Maximum = 61ms, Average = 60ms

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'm getting an ethernet adsl modem on friday. I'm running xp on the pc (other boxes are macs). Will the following sequence not work wth xp?

1) Create a new connection
    2) Choose Connect to Internet
    3) Create Manually (option 2)
    4) Connect Using Broadband Connection that requires a username and password
    5) Give it a name (IE: DSL)
    6) Put in your name and password (Don't forget to add your ISP's domain as part of your userid, IE: for Verizon it is userid@verizon.net)
    7) Right click and choose properties for that new connection
    8) Empty entry in Service name to let it use Wan PPPoE
    9) Go to Networking Folder, choose Internet Protocol TCP/IP
    10) Choose Properties - Make sure everything is auto assigned

I'd thought xp made all this connectivity stuff much easier than previous windows os's?

no, you need to use some kind of pppoe software, wan pppoe afaik wont work. maybe you can do that in windows Xp im not 100%. might want to head to the apps/os forum and ask that question

im not up the all setting yet, id imagine you would need some if it did work

Hmmm,

What model is the ethernet modem?
    Is it still an Alcatel box? Does the manual specify which model name/number it is?

cheers,
    alastair

Originally posted by alastair
    Hmmm,

What model is the ethernet modem?
    Is it still an Alcatel box? Does the manual specify which model name/number it is?

cheers,
    alastair

http://www.alcatel.com/consumer/dsl/prodhome.htm

Ta for that.

I'm at a loss now. This link (bellsouth techies adsl installation info for xp)

http://personal.mia.bellsouth.net/sdf/h/b/hburgiss/dsl/survival/xp-ppp.html

seems to infer that for the alcatel speed touch home, the best route for xp installations is to use the built in pppoe client. Is it likely eircom have gone down some completely different route (re pppoe software) to bellsouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

F:\>ping bwserver45.barrysworld.com

Reply from 213.221.174.165: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=116

dang, ping of 60 with 512kbps DSL is not that impressive at all :( English/Austrian DSL users can get 20/30 pings to barrysworld.

I played with a ping of 80 with 1 channel isdn, and a ping of 40/50 with 128kbps leased line ??

well i am downloading a fair wack at the moment

alastair, maybe your right, im not saying your not, if you are then im very very happy. how would you go about setting this up. IE what info would you need in order to do so.

dunno. I'm just the man with the questions at the moment.

I'm probably just getting overexcited about 'the eircom man' coming around to fix me up on friday. I'll likely get a mac rigged up first and worry about the pc afterwards. I know sod all about xp (or any windows stuff really)

I wonder will I be the first mac person on the trial?

ah, this looks convincing:

http://www.carricksolutions.com/windowsxp.htm

cheers,
    alastair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 disConnected

ADSL!!!
    HUH!! HUMBUG!!!
    Can I eat that 'ADSL" thing???
    PAH!!! RUBBISH!!!
    DON"T NEED THAT SH*TE!!!

I guess that's why we muck-savages here in the Irish Jungle won't get this Broadband stuff anyway... Eircom found that when the telephone was introduced to us it was a harsh cultural shock to us. So in all their wisdom they have decided to protect us from that ADSL-thingy now... YOU KNOW IT IS DANGEROUS!!!!

Well, anyway, with those prices Eircom is looking for that service we poor farming Midlanders would not be able to afford it anyway...:mad:

GRRR!!! You rich guys up in the big smoke - how we envy you!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

/me cries

You're complaining about having a 60ms ping to barrysworld? SHUT THE HELL UP! BE HAPPY! (or give it to me)

On a similar note, does anyone know if Lucan is one of the upgraded areas? I can't find a list...

no actually i wasnt, i dont play online games, so ping is allmost meaning less to me

well i am downloading a fair wack at the moment

So Doctor, when should I expect the novelty of ADSL to wear off??;)

V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

a 60 ping on DSL to barrysworld is **** to be honest, I get 30 and i'm on ISDN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Nice to see someone getting DSL. Where are you all living btw??

Matt

the novelty of it should wear off arounds dooms day.

As for ping, they hod a choice, low low ping and minimal people servered or high ping and allot more pople served.

Yes you would have a great ping, but you probably wouldnt be able to get it, and the prise would be extreme

I'm connected to the Belcamp exchange, Matt. Supposedly one of the main ones upgraded.

Checked out the ping to barrysworld in work this morning, got a ping of 20ms on a 1Mbit leased line.

V

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by ando

dang, ping of 60 with 512kbps DSL is not that impressive at all :( English/Austrian DSL users can get 20/30 pings to barrysworld.

Yes, that's pretty sh!te ping. I could get around that on my Cable modem to Barrysworld from the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Yep, hard to beat a leased line

C:\WINDOWS>ping bwserver45.barrysworld.com

Reply from 213.221.174.165: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=116
    Reply from 213.221.174.165: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=116
    Reply from 213.221.174.165: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=116
    Reply from 213.221.174.165: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=116