Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENN: Executives say Ireland needs an 'E Tsar'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

"At the moment, Internet and e-commerce development falls under the remit of many different government departments and organisations such as the Department of Public Enterprise, the Information Society Commission and, for instance, the Department of Environment when planning is required for infrastructure. The problem is that it is a case of everybody and nobody being in charge,"

SIGH!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Is the ODTR not our E-Tsar?

The main problem is Eircom and she seems to be the only one doing something, with her extremely limited powers, to get them to offer decent net access. What else would a Tsar do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is the ODTR not our E-Tsar?

Probably the closest thing to, but as the article highlights, "e-hubs" ain't just about connectivity. There's e-commerce and e-business, privacy, security, marketing and promotion, and a bunch of other stuff that makes up the whole shooting match. We need a dedicated minister for this stuff, although I would hesitate to call them an e-anything, because it's just guff. The Irish government doesn't understand technology at even the most basic level, so zeroing in on one particular area is simply illogical. If it was me, if I was the kiddy, I'd create a catch-all "Department of Technology" and "Technology Minister" to handle the lot. In this day and age, particularly in a country that is /in a position/ to embrace technology powerfully (on the understanding, of course, that telecommunications are drastcially improved in the coming months (weeks!), it should be one of the highest priorities of Government. But not, and I'd like to make this quite clear, /not/ relying solely on multinationals. I'd like to see a Plan B this time please.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 disConnected

Originally posted by dahamsta

... I'd like to see a Plan B this time please.

adam [/B]

Adam,

Are you not expecting a bit too much of our Government?
    As mirrored by the current tribunals many of those people do not have any time to care about those trivial things, as they are too busy lining their pockets with money that doesn't belong to them....

The Irish government doesn't understand technology at even the most basic level

Oh how I cringed the day I saw Bertie and Bill in Gateway using their digital signatures!

so zeroing in on one particular area is simply illogical. If it was me, if I was the kiddy, I'd create a catch-all "Department of Technology" and "Technology Minister"

I'm not so sure. From what I can see the Department of Public Enterprise is the new name for the Department of Transport, Energy and Communications. This is the "Mission Statement" of the Department of Public Enterprise:

To promote the provision, development and regulation of competitive, safe, secure and high-quality services as well as optimum asset utilisation in the transport, energy, communications and earth resources sectors.

The communication "assets" of this country are being used in the worst possible way at the moment. How can e-commerce be a success when you have to pay per minute to browse a shop's website? When the infrastructure is in place (ie ADSL for those who can get it and FRIACO for the rest) e-commerce, and everything else, will follow naturally. This is ultimately Mary O'Rourke's responsibility. Other departments may have a "slight" influence but she IS the minister for communications and she is responsible for providing the people with reasonable, unmetered access to the Internet, like almost every other country in the western world.

So, roll on the election :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

dahamsta - I agree

In fact it is quite likely there will be a cabinet minister in the next government responsible for "E". Taking in TV, Telecoms, Ecommerce regulation, the digital infrastructure etc.

The idea of a Department of Public Enterprise has never really worked and will probably be wound up (road and rail will become part of the Dept Environment.)

So what should Ireland offline do?
    Support this idea - indeed float it in public - and set out now well before the election the agenda for the Minister for "E".

In fact we could probably piece together a pretty good work programme for any such Minister by pooling our ideas here and get it stitched into most parties manifestoes.

Whatdyathink?

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    In fact we could probably piece together a pretty good work programme for any such Minister by pooling our ideas here and get it stitched into most parties manifestoes.

Most of the parties are probably writing them now anyway so it would do no harm to send them our wishlist :)

Good thinking.

Are you not expecting a bit too much of our Government?

As with everything government-related, you have to shoot for the stars, and hope for slightly above mediocrity.

adam

Neil, your point is kind of what a few of us have been saying for a while now - the Minister for Public Enterprise has in effect become Ireland's "eMinister". The task hasn't been assigned to the Minister, she has sort of "grown into it". Unfortunately though, the situation we find ourselves in demonstrates that she has been unable to fulfil her responsibilities in this area, i.e. promoting competition and stimulating innovation. I don't think Minister O'Rourke is particularly at fault here though, I think the responsibility lies with her remit becoming too large and diverse. And that's why I think we should have a dedicated department and Minister.

In my opinion, removing "technology" as a whole from the remit of the Department of Public Enterprise will give that department more control over, and more time to deal with, the rest of their portfolio; and will focus "a minister" and more importantly*, "a department" on technology issues as a whole. In what I firmly believe to be a Technological Revolution, no matter how much it has slowed down, I think now is the ideal time to do this. Even more so with the General Election coming our way, it gives the Government a chance to "start afresh".

Who should be the Minister? Like I said the last time this was discussed, I don't really care, as long as they're a well-proven political operator with a bit of common sense. That said, much as I hate to say it given her track record so far, I think should Fianna Fail retain the majority this time round, Minister O'Rourke might be a good choice. She's demonstrated a keen interest in technology issues, and she has certainly demonstrated a willingness to listen to advisors. Listening and acting are two different things though.

Vinnyfitz, in all honestly, I dislike the term "e-minister" intensely, just like I dislike e-everything-else, which was brought to a terrible climax when "they" started prefixing words beginning in 'e' with 'e-', like 'e-europe' and 'e-enterprise'. Lately it's slipped to 'm-everything', so much so I'm amazed no-one's proposed an "m-minister" yet (the kitten gets it if anyone does). It's affected, it's pretentious, it's false, and it's not even trendy any more, it's passé, even sniggered at by genuine technologists. Still though, whatever will be, will be.

Now that I've gotten over that hump, yes, your idea is a good one, and I'm pleased to report that we're already going down that road somewhat. I've been invited to discuss these issues with three leading members of one of the larger political parties, and I believe others on the committee are trying to open or reopen discussions with the other parties. We absolutely want to have a part in forming policy, and we'll do anything we can to help political parties do that. One of the problems we're faced with though, is ensuring that these parties follow through on their promises.

adam

*Remember, the Minister is to a degree simply a figurehead. Ministers come and go, but departments and civil servants remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hmmm, but its only really the Minister and/or the First Secretary of the Department will make any real decisions. They are the people to be targeted, together with their technical and political advisors.

I spent my evening trying to work out my taxes with the mother of all spreadsheets. No, no, I won't get started on how dificult it is to work out your own taxes. If this country can't put together a tax system that can be understood by small business, how do we expect the government to be able to handle something complicated like the internet?

I did a quick count of the main state organisations and departments (not counting Urban District Councils, Vocational Education Committees, Local Education Boards, .....) from www.gov.ie and came up with 223 main organisations, most have web sites and quite a number have material interest in internet development. I think you have your work cut out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement