Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem madness

• 13-12-2001 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Ok modem stoped workin, all attempts to get it goin again failed so I got a new one. Installed grand all look grand till I tried to connect to the net.

I get an error message, "no dial tone detected, modem is not attached to standard analog phone line" or something like that.
    The phone line is connected, I tried geting a new phone line no difference. What I did notice was the modem is installed on com port 2, even though I specified com port 1 when installing.

I checked all the setings that i could think of, the old modem is uninstalled, it is trying to dial out on the new one n i'm goin insane.

The old modem wasn't standard one the expansion card only contained the analog to digital converter and the rest was on the board. The new modem is a standard pci modem (Motorola).

I tried uninstalling all drivers and networking protocols n reinstalling them but it just doesn't work!

O.S. 98se, p.c. Packard Bell, Verdi 500

I think it may be something to do with the port setings or something but i'm not sure.... any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Go to CONTROL PANEL / MODEMS / DIAGNOSTICS and highlight the modem, then click MORE INFO. See if you geta lot of data in the box below after a second or 2 (responses to many AT commands). If you do at least you know the modem is communication with the system.
    After that check that it is an Irish modem (english phone lines are active on the opposite lines to Irish, the 2 external I think). If you received a y splitter with the modem use it, often these also correct line-impedance also (As was the case with many USR models).

If you get no response from the dagnostics. remove the modem and all ports from Device manager and let it pick them all up again. Many modems now use Virtual com ports (eg. 5), regardless make sure the serial ports on your Mbd do not conflict with whatever it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Have u tried disabling wait for dial tone before dialing?

I know its basic .. but its usually the simple things u overlook.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

By any chance are you using Oceanfree or IOL free??

Last weekend I couldn't connect to either for some strange reason (having not tweaked anything since the last successful conenction).
    I'm guessing there 'could' be some routine maintanence or upgrade going on or something. Then again, I'm guessing here.
    Good luck with it.

BTW, how are you posting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

try this... (i can't explain why it might work only that it worked for me)

get ready to connect (ie with the dial up networking panel up waiting for you to hit connect)

unplug the phone cable from the back of the pc and then plug it back in

quickly hit connect

this cured the problem with my old usr (gateway shipped) modems - it may just have been my line but it won't cost you anything to try...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Have you tried doing a hyperterminal test?

Hyperterminal is a telnet program that is supplied with windows
    • Type in hypertrm in Start -> Run and click OK
    • Type test for the name of the connection and click OK
    • At the bottom of the next screen, make sure beside Connect using it says Direct to com x (X being the com port your modem is on - note that it will not work for com 4) Click OK
    • On the next screen set the speed to the speed of your modem - usually 56k -> Click OK

You should now have a white screen in front of you. Needless to say, in order to do this your modem should be connected to your phone line. Now type in the command atz and hit enter. If it comes back with the message OK then your modem is responding.

Now type atx1dt<a freephone number> and hit enter.
    Your modem will now attempt to dial out. Give it a minute to see if it does so. If it comes back with the message No Carrier or something similar then there is something wrong with the setup of your modem. If it connects OK then there is nothing wrong with your modem, just your ISP.

You might also try to alter the setup string for your modem in the control panel. I don't know the exact path, but where it says AT&F<some large string>^M try replacing that with AT&FX1^M (Be sure to save your default string in case this doesn't work.

After that, all I can recommend is an uninstall/reinstall of your modem. Check to see if it is a software or controllerless modem also (denoted by the use of HSP or HSF in the name of the modem). These modems rely on the processing power of your processor chip in order to operate, and if that isn't up to scratch, that is where the problem may reside. Good luck!

BTW what operating system and ISP are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Go to CONTROL PANEL / MODEMS / DIAGNOSTICS and highlight the modem, then click MORE INFO.
    did that everything looks ok there.

ISP eircom free service
    os 98se
    BTW, how are you posting?
    in work :)
    After that check that it is an Irish modem (english phone lines are active on the opposite lines to Irish, the 2 external I think).
    she's Irish alright
    Have u tried disabling wait for dial tone before dialing?
    yup tried that too.
    Have you tried doing a hyperterminal test?
    nope haven't tried that one.... might try it later.
    Last weekend I couldn't connect to either for some strange reason
    ya a friend told me that... hopefully thats all it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭PJ Hunt

Hi,

Heres something I came across lately, Same problem , modem not connecting no matter what.

Turns out it was the keyboard using the same com port as the modem.

Go to Control Panel/accessbility options then to the General tab, make sure support serialkey devices is unchecked.

Hope that helps

Regards

Advertisement