Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web access via mobile

• 24-06-2000 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Since I got my web access on the Dublin-Westport train last night I've been messing around with the mobile link.

Basically it's an infra-red link from laptop to mobile, the modem (afaik) is in the phone, the laptop treats the phone like a modem with standard phone line except over the IR rather than serial or ISA/PCI etc.

I'm a bit dissapointed in that I've got good reception (5/5 bars) on the motorola (it's a Timeport), yet my connect speed is still at an awful 9600 ... it's desperate trying to web browse at this speed. Anyone know why it's so slow when I've good reception and am stationary?

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

AFAIK 9600 is the speed of the modem, though I might be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

at the moment u can only connect to the net in ireland over mobiles at 9,600 afaik...
    this was supposed to be increased to 14,400 with WAP phones... i'm not too sure of all the details but 9,600 is about the most you'll get

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

You will get 9600 bps both up and down with a standard mobile phone wireless modem connection in Ireland . . .

. . . unless you have High Speed Switched Circuit Data activated on your Eircell SIM.

I'm test driving it now and get 19.2 up and down sustained with 28.8 Kbps one way (9.6 Kbps the other way) on Irish Rail. I used my SIM in a Nokia Card Phone [1] since my Timeport seems to bounce around too much. The Irish Examiner covered this technology about a month ago.

regards,
    Bernie Goldbach

[1] http://www.topgold.com/sightings/cardphone.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

a regular phone uses 64kb/s
    but a mobile only uses 13kb/s
    so as u only ever get about 56k max from a regular POTS u generally only get about 10kb/s on a mobile frown.gif

just wait for gprs or bw-cdma smile.gif
    and stay away from wap

my $0.02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

. . . unless you have High Speed Switched Circuit Data activated on your Eircell SIM.

Is there an Esat equivalent?

Alastair.

• Advertisement

A mobile phone's datacomms capability tops out at 9.6 Kbps because that's the current hardware limit for most phones. That means you're going to see slow WAP pages on WAP phones. But you can get 28.8 Kbps speed on WAP sites with Nokia's CardPhone 2 using Eircell's High Speed Circuit Switched Data. [1] That would mean viewing the WAP sites through an emulator or on a Palm with WAPman instead of the normal WAP browser on a WAP phone.

There's no Esat high speed option for punters, but there's Easydata for corporate Digifone subscribers. I saw Pat O'Connell getting 49 Kbps with an Easydata wireless dialup on his notebook.

regards
    Bernie

[1] http://www.topgold.com/sightings/cardphone.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nickb

OCTAVIAN here need to change my username
    anyway Here in CBE we got Hi-speed mobile pcmcia cards on approval from eircom
    nah nah na nah nah smile.gif)
    There good but dont expect fixed line speeds.
    Especially on a train when yer resend is gonna be of the scale!

How much Nick?

Check out an adaptor for my laptop -> T28 will ya? There was one on the e-merge site...

Cheers,
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nickb

Their self contained they have their own aerial and everything and you can put any simcard in them.
    Price unknown?? their on approval!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

what do u want to know re:t28?

• Advertisement

Have you got an Ericsson Di28? (Eircell has for IR£85) - it's the plug in adaptor for T28 - laptop/PDA

Al.

[addendum:]
    Got some more info on that:
    Mobile Office DI 28
    Infrared, compact modem

The DI 28 is a small infrared modem specifically designed for the T28 mobile phone. It weighs just 10.6 grams and attaches to the bottom of the phone. It offers fax, SMS, e-mail, remote access, Internet and phone book management. DI 28 uses very little power but offers complete wireless communication between a computer or PDA and your T28 mobile phone.

[This message has been edited by Trojan (edited 05-07-2000).]

You can get the Nokia Cardphone v2 from most Irish high street Nokia shops for under £400. I've seen it for £200 in London.

Details: http://www.topgold.com/sightings/cardphone.html

You get Eircell to enable your SIM so it can grab two or three cells on each mast, meaning you can reach upload or download speeds of 28.8 Kbps on connections. Eircell plans to double this capability by the end of Nov 2000 as it upgrades network capability to GPRS.

If you're able to slip into the Esat Net corporate customer channel, you can use Easydata to compress your stuff with your notebook/Palm connection and see speeds above 40 Kbps. That too will double by year's end.

All these things run over GSM. I use both while on Irish Rail between Dublin and Cork. Although I have to contend with four black spots of coverage, it's dependable and predictable when trying to work around the breaks in the network.

<plug>
    You can get more bits about this technology in Connect, The Irish Examiner.
    </plug>

regards
    Bernie Goldbach

Advertisement