Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Speed - round 2

• 13-12-2001 5:37pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, Regi has done some funky chicken waving and we are now compressing almost all pages (except the front page).

We've removed the ad serving perl script and we're going to use include files for the javascript.

Currently the major change is the conpression which you may notice on the forum and thread pages.

We're going to leave it up from now for 24 hours to get a decent test of what its like. We need your feedback to tell us if its noticeably faster or slower. Take your time and be sure you arent going on one or two dodgy sessions.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i havnt noticed any speed increases :(, but then i didnt notice anything being slower in the first place, besides the main page which always took ages and ages and ages...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ya there's a bit a speed up alright, forums seem to opening a bit quicker at the moment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Seems nice and spanky fast to me in comparison with a few days ago. Good job.

not quite perfect yet, of course, but then again, what is? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Arrgh!! what have ye done!:)
    Im getting this every few clicks. Mostly seems to happen when i hit back a few times

error.JPG

running win2k and IE 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It definitely seems a lot less painful to use today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

ROFL@Smak sig.

Yeah the Main page speed is still pretty slow but the in-board page hopping looks good ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Dustaz, we've seen that too but I cant for the life of me figure it out. It has something to do with the compression we are using and the dhtml. Will continue to debug it but its a pain in the ass. Might be cleared up when we move to putting the javascript in an include file.

Bear with us.

DeV.

I have been experiencing some rather strange things over the last hour or so!

When I go to look at a post from the Boards.ie homepage, no matter what board I'm looking at the first post of the thread is all messed up.............there are unusual bg colors and sometimes the text is formatted into a column, and other strange stuff like that ????

http://www.boards.ie/members/yomamma/untitled.jpg

the pic quality is not the best but it might give u some idea of what I’m on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Much much faster today - good job! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Yes it is indeed much faster, thanks guys.

But if I refresh a page in IE 5.5 SP2 this is what I get, wierd.

http://www.doesnotcompute.ie/misc/boards.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I don't know about you guys but today on boards, strange things are happening on the pc at work. when i load up a new thread, i miss the top of the thread and it is normal again after a few posts, if i refresh it then is ok(sometimes). Now maybe, this is the comp. in work, or the speed changes-not loading the whole page, just the bottom bit- i just don't know

Here is another eg. of post wierdness!

This is what I saw when I opened this post just a few minutes ago!

It does as The_Bullman said, go away after a few refreshes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Ive noticed a marked increase in speed this evening, played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

just an update on the speed,
    i am now at home and the pages are loading up fine. as the computer is a few years old it may have an older version of explorer and that may have caused the problem. Not sure about the speed but i feel that it is slightly faster. as i am using morpheus i am not 100%

thanks Yo Mamma for the graphic representation, mine was similar but worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

its Vroooooming.

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I disabled icons and sigs and it runs fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It seems to snap up a bit faster allright, last night I went on using my 28.8 connexi0n at home. Seemed more comfortable allright :)

Good work.
    none of the weirdness though.

One thing I've noticed (using win2k SP2 and some version of IE5 maybe IE5.5SP1 or something) at home, IExplore.exe seems to be giving me errors lately, and I'm pretty sure I haven't done anything (lately) to upset it.
    Monday/Tuesday night it wouldn't let me open any webpages, then last night I got onto boards.ie but when I went to login from the front page but it crashed IExplore.exe.
    Then went browsing boards instead (a bit faster too mind :)) and went to post. Something hung my machine, though I believe it was something else iw as doing>.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

it seems a lot faster to me. nice one.

/me pats regi on the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Nice one the forums browsing is a bit faster. And I was hoping to play this

regisaysoops.jpg

kayos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ahhh, tis belting along like a caddy on the N7. Respect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

just testing the speed for "post reply to load up"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

http://www.doesnotcompute.ie/misc/boards.jpg

This comes up whenever i refresh the page if thats helps. I believe im on IE5.5

Oh and kayos: damn you i wanted to post that up! I was waiting for ages for the right opportunity and all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Huge improvement the last day or so, great stuff :)

Advertisement