Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legally unleashed on the highways and byways...

• 13-12-2001 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

I passed my driving test today. The tester dude said my driving was "perfect".

Naturally I am sufficiently chuffed and am off out on the piss :) - going to the new Wrights pub in Swords.

Things is lookin' up, they is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Congrats Bard!!
    I'm ashamed to admit I still can't drive!:o
    My da's a mechanic and he won't let me near anything of his with an engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Congrats Bard.
    as a person who barly passed my driving test last Feb. you will be pleased to know that driving after the test is less stressful and you quickly lose all those bad habits that you learn, just to pass the test. the rules of the road are only a guideline...

oh by the way i passed the Theory test section of the HGV on Monday(also chuffed-until i had to go back to work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I passed the test there about 2 weeks ago, and I'm happy to say my driving was right back to normal in a few days after all that rubbish I had to get into the habit of for the test :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just out of interest, how many times did you have to take the test before you passed? I hear they almost automatically fail first timers these days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I heard that too... luckily I passed mins about 5 years ago...

the thoughts of doing a theory test on top of it all doesnt appeal to me one bit..

:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well done.......... I should do my driving test... then again no-one will insure me even if I get a full license...... So I'm pretty ****ed.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

got mine first time last august

but i am pretty much perfect anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

This was my 2nd time doing the test.

It was ridiculously easy. It took less than 1/2 an hour. He didn't ask me to demonstrate hand signals.

He may have gone easy on me (I think I was his last test of the day) but I don't care, - I deserve the license 'cos I'm a bloody good driver... so there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I got mine first time, as have all 4 or so of my friends who have done it, and we're all 17 or 18, I hear it varies widely from tester to tester and area to area though, so they might be harsher on first timers elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

bard.jpg hee hee, congrats Bard :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by azezil
    bard.jpg

lol! love it :)

cheers, azezil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭BabyEater

got mine first time aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

passed mine 1.5 years ago first time.

oh the idependance you will have, the chicks that will flock

no wait, thats total rubbish :)

n1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Its great really, you get your licience, you get all excited, then you remember about insurance. Or if you are lucky enough you get to sit in your car instead of the bus and bitch about the stuipid bus lanes not being open/lights out of sequence/ the stuipid f*ker who cut you off/ etc. etc.

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    Its great really, you get your licience, you get all excited, then you remember about insurance. Or if you are lucky enough you get to sit in your car instead of the bus and bitch about the stuipid bus lanes not being open/lights out of sequence/ the stuipid f*ker who cut you off/ etc. etc.

My insurance is bugger-all (about £200 p/a) on account of being the second named driver on my mother's insurance. It should even drop down a bit now that I've passed the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Bard

My insurance is bugger-all (about £200 p/a) on account of being the second named driver on my mother's insurance. It should even drop down a bit now that I've passed the test.

Plus you must be a bit of an aulfella too. I got quoted 1100 on my ma's insurance with a full licence :( damn being 19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm 17, going 18 in 3-4 months (Jockswhahey!)
    Going to get provisional, get insured under my ma's name (1.6litre 16valve :() write off the cost, get my full licence and get a mechanically sound car with radio and heating for £1000.
    Then shell out another £1000 for insurance for the first year on my own.
    Might wait an extra year though, still in college, no real need for a car yet. Might do the writing of bit in 3rd year when I'd just be studying/work experience etc.

I reckon everyone should start off at the same reasonable premium, regardless of sex/age - say £800.
    If you fúck up, charge the crap out of you, say £3000 for a smashup, less of a steep increase if it wasn't too bad (only a head/taillight or something stupid (nothing if it wasn't your fault (and you can bribe winesses ;)).
    AS you get more experienced/get clear for a year or 3 drop the premium.
    The insurance should reflect your experience and driving skill, not your actual age.
    An annual retake of the test should be mandatory the first 3 years , with one every 4-5 years from then on.

That is rather easy compared to germany. You have to drive at speed (80-90Kmph+) for extended time (10-15 mins) and maintaincontrol. This is a hell of a lot harder then you think it sounds. Also, after getting your licence your on 'probation' for 2 years. Feck up and your suspended from driving for 5 years (I think - roughly like that). These strigent measures are clearly necessary with the autobahns and stuff.
    That being another point. The roads themselves in Ireland are, in a word, shíte. Crap foundations, built on soft land and ill-maintained. Ikkle patch-work quilts of tar is what alot of em add up to to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak
    I'm 17, going 18 in 3-4 months (Jockswhahey!)
    Going to get provisional, get insured under my ma's name (1.6litre 16valve :() write off the cost, get my full licence and get a mechanically sound car with radio and heating for £1000.
    Then shell out another £1000 for insurance for the first year on my own.

I wouldn't count on it. Not to sound like a ****, but, I'm 19, driving for a year, full licence, got my own car (1.1l 97 Fiat :() and I'm quoted at 3,900 quid for next year :(. I'm buying a motorbike. :)

My bro, who's 24 and had a full licence for 4 years, is still charged 2,300 quid - with no crashes whatsoever, so if you think you'll get cheap insurance (with a cheap car too!!!), think again, sorry.

That is rather easy compared to germany. You have to drive at speed (80-90Kmph+) for extended time (10-15 mins) and maintaincontrol. This is a hell of a lot harder then you think it sounds.

Not really. Spend a few weeks driving on country roads (or on the motorway, but that's illegal, so.... emmm... :p) and it would be simple. Sounds like a good idea tho. There's plenty of young ppl in Dublin who have never driven past 40mph, and then get a full licence. My pretest dude told me to never go into 5th gear during the test - you'll fail straight up. WTF???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Insurance is a bit steep. For meself in a 1L peugeot it was 3400. I am 20 and have a full license. I was hoping it would go down a couple of hundred next year.

Advertisement