Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGP 7.0

• 13-07-2000 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

Upon hearing that PGP 7 will include a firewall I've finally decieded to give up the idea of programming my own encryption software cos I'm just too lazy.

The beta is supposed to be finished soon but does anyone know anyone involved in the beta testing?

I aslo heard a rumor they were going to start charging everyone for it instead of just business users? Anyone hear that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey Blitz,

I don't keep up with the development or anything, where are you getting these rumours?

I checked out the site, there's so sign of any such on pgpi ... sup?

Cheers,
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

excuse my ignorance but why would an encryption package come with a firewall?

and why stop programming your own because it comes with one?

that does not make sense.
    (chewbacca defense)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm not going to stop programming my own cos I havn't started smile.gif I'm sooo lazzzy smile.gif

I can't remember exactly where I heard the rumors. It was the news section of some PC Magazine I got to read while my car was doing the NCT. I read the whole thing from cover to cover even though I had no interest in most of it, then looked up to see my car just being brought in! mad.gif

I left it behind me 2 so I can't find out.

I think they're trying to make it a total secuirity package. The guys who started it are obsessed with privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

If they're really that obsessed with privacy, they'll not like you talking about it.
    I'd be careful, dont follow any of your usual routines, dont always go out your front door, you cannt be to careful.

uummmm - my house only has a front door. Quick lads! Out the back window!

biggrin.gif

Ho hum - supose I'll have to wait and see what happens with PGP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Wish I could remember where it was posted.

While PGP will protect the message (although I have my doubts), it doesn't protect the messenger.

What I mean is, it doesn't stop them from monitoring who the message goes to, what sites your looking at, the frequency or knowing what those people do.

I know - I wouldn't really trust it for ultra-secret stuff, but I don't have any ultra-secret stuff. I really just want the free firewall and a standard (sort of) encryption package if I ever work from home.

Discourage the casual hacker sort of thing.

Advertisement