Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenGL programming

Options
  • 13-12-2001 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd mention nehe.gamedev.com.

I've been following some of the OpenGL tutorials there, and have so far managed to create this (44kb)

It's a very primitive spaceship that you can move around the screen. Controls are the usual, left-right, up is accelerate. esc exits, and f1 changes between windowed and fullscreen. f2 crashes it. (unfixed bug. :))

I'm looking into textures now, so it won't look like it's done on a SNES for long. :)

I need to sort out clipping, and plenty of other things, like putting 2d stuff on the screen for a HUD.

Has anyone else meddled with OpenGL before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

you own me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I've done some simple stuff for college, like fireplace.zip (457k, sorry it's a bit big but it was hand-in on disk so it didn't matter).
    wasd controls (or arrow keys), and
    T : toggle textures
    F : toggle flat/smooth shading
    L : dim/brighten lights
    I : Invert mouse
    You can also use the big red button on the table to dim the lights, if you face it and stand close enough (quick add-on).

I did that a while ago as well as a much bigger project, but that needed special hardware to run so there's no point in posting it up here. I haven't done much recently and I've been meaning to get back into it, maybe soon I'll have more to show.

BTW no promises this'll work perfectly on other machines, but it does on mine :p

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mr.StRiPe

Hey Keith what are you up to these days? I think phaxx wanted some source code :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Heh, no code, just wanted to see who else was playing with OpenGL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

I have heard that this book is good with lots of code samples (pricey though)

Practical Algorithms for 3d Computer Graphics
    by R. Stuart Ferguson

Do a search for this "Stuart Ferguson" he has some stuff on the net. He is in Queens in Belfast. Maybe someone is in his class ?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mr.StRiPe
    Hey Keith what are you up to these days? I think phaxx wanted some source code :)

Hey Ross I'm pretty much a bum at the moment - I'm waiting for the ISG to hear if they get the funding to do a large VR research project. If they do I'll be doing a postgrad with them, otherwise I'm going to have to get a job :eek:
    What have you boys been up to?

And I know you've done some good OpenGL stuff, post it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mr.StRiPe

Hey Keith I've been looking into a postgrad with ISG too. When I went in to see Carol she said that there were only going to be about 5 places available if they get the grant. 2 places have already been filled as they had there own funding! and another 2 people already have MSC's and are going for there Phd so they would be next on the list. So its not looking to good at the moment. I'm lecturing computers in DIT which is dead handy as I've only got 11 hrs and the pay is good.

lecturing?!

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!

nice one, how'd you manage that?!

Advertisement