Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gig Of Yer Life?

Options
  • 14-12-2001 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

on a subject which always comes up in pubs at three 0 clock in the morn ( after we've solved the problems of the world of course) what is everyones best ever gig.

First of all what is a great gig?
    Great sound?
    Being pissed but still remembering the whole thing?
    Getting off with a hot chick?
    ****e sound great stage pressence?

Mine has to Radiohead at PUncherstown. Last nite in tour Thom Yorke encapsulates me with his soothing voice and new found ear for techno beats. Beatiful waffle stand just outside tent. Was in pit no too closed to front but in the " were all jumping" part of the crowd. Slightly inebriated. Blagged t-shirt.
    BEst gig ever.

Although SFA at the Ambassador was extremly close and so were the Frames.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

queen - 1986

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

Black Crowes in the Olympia a few years back. Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Sunstroke.
    Can't remember what year that was!! Jamiroquai in 97 was wicked as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

Muse in the Temple Bar Music Centre- May 2000

need i say more?????

:p:p:p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Metallica at the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire in 1988.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Samson
    Metallica at the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire in 1988.

Ahhh... that reminds me... easily my best gig was Metallica at the point... I think it might have been 1990? Anyone know!?
    Jesus I must be smokin too much shít :)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Grant Lee Buffalo in the Olympia.. '95ish.
    OR
    At-the-Drive-In Music Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

hell yeah that Black Crowes gig was incredible! but its too hard to call a best gig... so at joint number 1 i've got...

Bob Dylan this year in Kilkenny.
    Pearl Jam at the point 2000.
    The Frames October 2000 Vicar Street.
    Aerosmith, Wembley Stadium 1999.
    The Black Crowes at The Olympia 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

Frank Black in the olympia - 96 (i think). it had snowed that night and i couldn't get home at all. it was worth it though. absolutely fantastic

or,
    Bikini kill in Charlies Rock Bar, god knows when that was. all ages day show. it was mental

or,
    Tindersticks in the olympia this year. sublim

or,
    any of the frames gigs in vicar street for sound, in whelan's for atmostphere

there's too many other ones to think about. my favourite moment was during the encore at the mogwai gig in the red box. all they played was 'my father, my king' for 20+ minutes, all white noise. my ears were still ringing late into the night of the next day. fabulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by teamdresch
    Grant Lee Buffalo in the Olympia.. '95ish.
    OR
    At-the-Drive-In Music Centre.

what's that Grant song "why's everybody look so sad...",
    saw it a few years ago on alternative nation, liked it but
    haven't heard them since. must track it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Best gig I've been to was most definitely Metallica in the Point Theatre... July 5th... 1999... (featuring Eric Bell from Thin Lizzy for "Whiskey in the Jar")

with Radiohead in the Big Top, Punchestown... October 2000 a close 2nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

"The Trip to Tipp" -1997... especially when Kula Shaker's instrements managed to set the stage onfire.. and Prodigy were mind-blowing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Smashing Pumpkins, Wembley Arena, Saturday 4th November 2000.

bo-yar.

Radiohead in Punchestown was darn good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Brian May - Point Depot December 1993

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Opeth just last Friday.

Haven't quite seen anything like it.
    Amazing prescense, great sound, fantastic playing, good, long set... But it had that something 'More', if you know what I mean.

Katatonia, supporting them would be worth seeing alone, and they were also brilliant.

Marduk in TBMC in March was also brilliant.

Cradle of Filth in the London Astoria last year was fantastic. Spellbinding show. Intermission was using the music of Danny Elfman, just put a smile on my face.
    Then seeing Sulpher the next day by accident was the icing on the cake!

Metallica in '99 was quite good, but by no means the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 starsilver

I agree bout opeth what a class gig...

I love katationa and they just blew me away got to talk to the band after too... so class!!

another class gig: Foo Fighters, olympia, dec last year

super furry animals at wittness.

The frames at the last gig in the savoy in cork. final gig wit dave.

Ryan adams in kilkenny last year

gotta be slane 1
    ....but the gig i'd most like to relive would be
    pumpkins in SFX in 95, played most of siamese
    dream which i only got a loan of a week before the
    gig but knew right away what i'd found

Damn you knobbles. Damn you straight to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

whats with the the radiohead at punchestown being great thing? to be honest, i went on the sunday night and it was really poor, i thought they just didnt give a sh!te... bring on the slamming.

Seán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by starsilver
    I love katationa and they just blew me away got to talk to the band after too... so class!!

Damn you!

I was dying to meet Anders Nystrom, as I'm a huge fan of his other band Diabolical Masquerade.
    And I didn't... Unfortunatly.

I met the drummer though, so I'm happy enough.

And some bloke called Peter Lindgren also...? You probably wouldn't know him... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Cant narrow down to one great gig, although the Trip to Tipp in 97 was good craic, but in the really great stakes its Kerbdog's last every gig in the Mean Fiddler with Cyclefly back in March '98.

OR Neil Young and Pearl Jam as his backing band (minus Eddie) all the way back in August '95.......ah first proper gig first proper beer(thanks da!)

Originally posted by p-t saviour
    whats with the the radiohead at punchestown being great thing? to be honest, i went on the sunday night and it was really poor, i thought they just didnt give a sh!te...

Refer to my sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

The Pogues, 20th december 2001, Point Theatre (hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

For sheer musicical brilliance, REM at Landsdowne in '99 kicked utter booty. For craic over music, i have to go for Slaine '98. What fun that was. Radiohead last year was pretty darned good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭poobags

In ref. to point about Radiohead at Puncherstown.

That gig was amazing. Lots of people came out sayin it was a ****e in a bucket.

Is this a) because they didn't play creep.

or

b) The qs for the waffle shop were a bit long.

I cn't understand how you didn't like it. Thom Yorke just blew my mind. He has the stage presence of Zeus and the voice, ****in hell just class. Top form.

That Muse gig in the TBMC was very good I agree but the Furries at witness were ****e. Only played for 50 mins. Just played RATW.
    Trillion times better at the Ambassador.

Oh and Slane this year was the equvilant of lickin piss off a nettle.
    Terrible. RHCP disasappointed me. Poor set. And as for U2, the biggest pack of money grabbin bastards the world has ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

i saw radiohead on the sunday aswell and i thought they were pretty poor. saw them in 98 though and it was deadly.

backyard babies at witnness and the tbmc this year were two of the best performances ive ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭indie_chick

6th july - temple bar music centre - bellx1, i was on the stage and whelans 18th august - bellx1 and the frames and a very special slowset!

Originally posted by poobags

Oh and Slane this year was the equvilant of lickin piss off a nettle.
    Terrible. RHCP disasappointed me. Poor set. And as for U2, the biggest pack of money grabbin bastards the world has ever seen.

the best gigs are usually not the ones where the band are amazing but when there's a mind blowing atmosphere.

not a chillis head but they really made the crowd alive.
    U2 were always gonna draw an amazing buzz from the crowd
    and if that's the one thing you have to say about the concert than you were an unfortunate waste of space in a field of 80,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

Best ever had to be a Glasgow band called The Henry Brothers at a free Radio Clyde concert in 1991(ish) in Kelvingrove Park in Glasgow. Just as they got on stage, it started absolutely lashing down and half the crowd just ran for cover. The other half stayed and got soaked to the skin dancing like lunatics to the hillbilly style country folk rock that they played. After they'd played their allocated 3 or 4 songs (there were about 6 unsigned bands on the bill) they were asked by the organisers to stay on cos everyone was enjoying themselves so much so we carried on for another couple of songs. I don't know what happened to the band after that but they gave me one of my happiest memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DG - Corrupted

Haven't been to the best gig of my life yet so I can't answer that one.......

I was Anathema on Monday night and that was possibly the most mind-blowing experience I've had in a long long time. Any Anathema fans that missed this will be kicking themselves. No support though. Last time I saw Anathema, the line up was ****ing brillaint. Anathema, Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride.:D

Dave

Advertisement